1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Interesting to me that about 1/4 of that list have been there a year or less.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maven. LOLOLOL

3. sporty

sporty Member

Stuff like this makes me feel even better about my decision to tell Maven last year when they came calling. I didn't have a job and still had better sense than to get involved with those fools.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

upload_2021-6-18_7-19-1.gif

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. goalmouth

Still waiting for the SI-branded medical clinics.

Maven. LOLOLOLOL

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For some reason I looked up Ocean Pacific the other day. Their clothes were everything in my younger days, now apparently - like SI and Avia, they are just mostly logos that are slapped on inferior product by "branding companies."

9. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

10. goalmouth

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot - remember when you survived winter with the football playoffs, the Super Bowl then the SI Swimsuit issue? Seems to be getting pushed back further every year and shtinking in significance as well.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

First thing I ever sold as a freelancer was to SI back in 1985, a thumbnail mug of a hoops player. They paid $75 - for a mug shot.

The mag that I subscribed to had contacted me and purchased a photo. I was over the top. I subscribed probably for another 10-15 years. Then they made changes, and it wasn't as enjoyable. Then, more changes over the years. I stopped subscribing. Ignored the "Renew now for a drop of blood and three pennies, and get this free crap!" pleas.

Today, meh. It's not even an afterthought, to be honest. But not much different than The Sporting News, Time, Newsweek or others. Everything runs its course.

Draft saved Draft deleted