1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Well, if it wasn't already, it's dead to me now.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Scott Price had an incredible run at SI - one of the few writers who wrote so well that you wanted to know who wrote it. And unlike Gary Smith - who was phenomenal - Price wrote in a way where the story dominated, rather than the author's voice. I'd be in the middle of a great story and look back at the title - oh, SL Price. Read another story a few weeks later, oh, again SL Price. Another story, totally different subject, totally different style - oh SL Price.

But lacrosse?

Slacker and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Was Price let go or did he leave on his own? That tweet tells me nothing.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Might have been a situation where his contract was up.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

This is exactly why Price was my favorite SI writer (in the years after Dan Jenkins gave up college football).

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Price is so readable. Smith has a gift, but the story is always about him, sometimes in the most jarring way.

9. jw0814

jw0814 New Member

Best I ever worked with -- sad day for all of us who enjoyed the "good old days" of the magazine. I'm rooting for Cannella. Hoping he can hold on to a piece of that old flavor! dy

10. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

They updated the SI app last week. Now print subscribers can no longer read issues on the SI app. Now you have to read online via a link from emagazines.com. No more offline reading. They're really doing an excellent job of alienating their (dwindling) readership. Previous issues downloaded on the app are gone, too.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What a shit show. It probably relates to how cash strapped the whole thing is. Meredith filed a lawsuit last week against "theMaven" for not paying the licensing fee.

Dyno likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted