1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I find the idea that sports media entities and the people who work in them know much of anything about nutrition pretty hilarious. (And, as a former member of the industry, I resemble my own remark).

TigerVols and sgreenwell like this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

There's no fucking way he's doing that you're exaggerating *clicks on Grant's Twitter* oh my God he is fucking doing that.

Maven is the very worst of the worst, but say this for them, they set their bait for Grant knowing he'd swallow it whole.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Call me when the expose lands about The Athletic faking its comments section.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I will listen. His podcast series on the 1991 US Women’s World Cup team was really good and touched on a lot of broader themes. He also gets great access (including the media shy Adu for this one)

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember growing up and hearing that all those kids growing up playing soccer in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s would turn us into a world power. They were right, but it wasn't in men's soccer, but women's soccer.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The United States is one of the best and most progressive nations in the world for women. That’s why the US is really good in women’s soccer. There are nations that wipe the floor with the US in men’s soccer. Their women’s teams aren’t as good because the investment and interest in women’s sports is barely there. Because of Title IX, the US has a 50-year head start.

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Go on...

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I subscribed to TMG sports a few years ago. It was ex-LAT college football expert Chris Dufresne and three others -- Herb Gould, Tony Barnhart and Mark Blaudschun. Dufresne was a friend and he wrote about things that were of interest to me. Dufresne's wife was the webmaster and business manager. Shortly after they were taken over by Maven, I emailed that Dufresne wasn't writing enough to justify my subscription. I only subscribed to read his stuff, the other three never wrote anything that I was interest in. When it runs out, please do not renew my subscription. His wife emailed back that Maven was now handling all of the subscriptions but she would pass along my email. This was before Dufresne died. Now, there is really no reason to continue. I don't know the outcome of this, but I do check my credit card statements to make sure Maven doesn't re-up my subscription.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only a casual soccer watcher here, but, is Freddy Adu just a punchline when talking about developing soccer talent?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Pretty much. He was monstrously overhyped as a 15 year old. He looked brilliant as long as he was playing other teens. Put him in a real professional setting and it was a very different story.

Webster and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted