1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Real tough to read those tweets. One prays for landing spots.

I don't know how free Web sites do it anymore. I don't think they should. Charge for all of it.

Tweener and wicked like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's about the best explanation of Atlanta sports I've seen in that few words. You're either ITP or OTP : inside the I-285 perimeter or outside the I-285 perimeter. And he didn't even touch on the Falcons or the Hawks, the two failed NHL franchises or the obsession with high school and college football. You could spend decades studying the cultural anthropology, political divisions and racial history of this city all the way from pre-Civil War to the 1996 Olympics and never really get a definitive answer to why Atlanta is what it is.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Lee Feiner (@Lee-Feiner on Venmo) is apparently handling collections for the bar tab for those who want to contribute.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

People obviously remember the glory days but even, say, two years ago, the place was loaded: Jenkins and Ballard on NBA, Peter King, Verducci, Price, Rushin coming back, Shipnuck and Bamberger on golf, Wertheim, Layden, old-guard like McCallum would contribute some stuff, and numerous others. And even now it still produces some great individual magazines on a consistent basis and certainly a story or two each week that I wouldn't miss. The main awfulness to this destruction is obviously to the individuals losing their jobs. But beyond that, it's not just about the memories of Deford, Jenkins, Smith and the rest. An outstanding magazine, now, in 2019, is also being taken apart.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Reached by phone Thursday and asked about the turmoil at SI, ABG chief executive Jamie Salter described the situation at the magazine as "awesome."

"I can only tell you that we buy troubled companies that we think there's enormous amount of value in the intellectual property in," he said. "We're also living in a digital world, and I don't want to blame anyone because it takes a lot of people to run a business. But it takes a leader to build a business. And at the end of the day whoever has been leading this company for the last seven years, in my opinion, they fell behind.

"ABG has been successful because we're laser-focused on social media, on influencers, on product and design. And we're laser-focused on localizing product for each market, and we've invested the money and resources in those people for those markets."

Asked about layoffs, he said, "We have to be smart about it. We have to change some of the soldiers. You need different skill-sets."

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol influencers.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

From Henry Luce to these bottom feeders is a pretty good arc of the decline of capitalism into rentier theft in my lifetime.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Hell, that issue is why The Maven bought them.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This business continues to suck. Feel awful for everyone affected.

Draft saved Draft deleted