1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

It was Grant Wahl, assailing Maven for imposing a 30 percent pay cut that would remain in effect even after the pandemic is over.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Smart move by Wahl. He'll get scooped up. Too good.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who is the fact checker? I didn't get all the names of those laid off but your point is quite valid.

Jack Dickey. Two-time Jeopardy champion. Bright guy. Great guy. Someone is going to snap up a standout.

Charlotte Wilder left SI to go to FOX Sports. Two people I worked with left a few months ago on their own, one to write for a betting site and one for another magazine. I'm losing track but there aren't many left.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think he's still there, he had something about this on his IG page. I did not see the tweets.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Wahl's wife is one of the infectious disease experts making the rounds of the evening programming on MSNBC.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. They were both on Deitsch's podcast a few weeks back.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The initial Oklahoman story was just as bad. They updated it about four hours later after the backlash started because there was no mention of anything like that originally

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How soon until he joins The Athletic?

10. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Unfortunatley, this was coming after he sent that tweet about the pay cuts. I feel terrible for him and he made an excellent point in a tweet that's now been deleted. But one also has to understand that tweeting negative things about your current employer likely isn't going to end well.

wicked likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sad what's happening there. Just sad.

I do agree that Wahl cast his own fate with the tweet.

I also agree he'll be hired pretty fast.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Wahl is the leading American soccer writer and SI has always had some really good soccer content. I’ve kept my subscription out of loyalty/inertia, but that’s going to end.

Draft saved Draft deleted