1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, the SI Baseball Preview issue will be able to last a little longer on the newsstands.

2. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

SI cover jinx?

(Too soon?)

PaperDoll, sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Paging Cory Snyder.

4. DanOregon

My last issue is due in April. Still hacked they didn't extend the subscriptions when they went monthly - I've contacted them and complained, but the response was pretty lacking. The sad thing is I don't care enough and now - it almost seems a fitting time to just let it go.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Definitely shouldn't pay more than maybe $10 a year for it. Got it free from kelloggs rewards. last time,
    got a year free from another internet survey site.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The latest offer I got had the longest length of time at $102 for 3 years

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

This business sucks. They clipped Ballard?!

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So will the individual Mavens be spared?

11. DanOregon

Hell, don't know how you get rid of Ballard, the guy did deep dives on hoops, wrote compelling features on a wide variety of subjects and could handle just about anything. I'd like to say any place would be lucky to have him, but if he doesn't end up at The New Yorker or Vanity Fair - where does he land?

SCREW 'EM CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION (see above), but if you want to wait a month and throw in the Swimsuit Issue, that's cool. BTW - SI makes more money marketing the hell out of that issue with promotional advertising events, than they do with their Sportsperson of the Year stuff. And with COVID-19, I'm guessing they'll take a bath.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted