1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

WATN isn't anywhere near what it used to be, and that's disappointing considering it's an evergreen issue that can be worked on all year. My favorite item from its glory days was when they'd take a team photo and update the whereabouts of every person, from the stars to the coaches to the trainers.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I just don’t see how they have the money to get in that game. Streaming rights already go for millions and will soon go for billions. One of SI’s biggest problems in the last 20 years has been its terrible website. If you were a professional sports league and could choose between streaming on Amazon or Apple or ESPN+ I don’t see how you could pick SI. Or see how Disney wouldn’t just outbid them to help kill them off.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

SI has been a bust on the digital/TV/electronica side for decades. Never got the hang of it.

Does no one remember CNN/SI?

First order of current business has to be a website overhaul.

Ownership would be smart to monetize the old content, too. Charge for the vault. And republish the classics in a series of nicely bound keepsake editions - while the readership who cares about legacy SI is still alive to buy them.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you have all of this very right. Streaming live sports, at least sports that are going to draw any kind of audience, would require hefty licensing or rights fees, as you said. On top of it, it's not like you just say, "OK, we'll broadcast major sports, pay up, and just get those rights." There's bidding, but the leagues are also trying to partner with people strategically. SI has a name with recognition built up over a long time, but there is not much left to it other than the name.

Which is probably why it has been sold twice in two years, and even though the last buyer paid a still-decent chunk of cash for it, it really was only interested in the publication's name and reputation, not in the publication itself.

One thing about the company (Authentic Brands) that bought SI from Meredith, though. ... we're all focused on TheMaven, which is licensing the name from Authentic Brands. When the original deal went through, though, Authentic Brands did say that they were interested in slapping the SI name on live events and sports gambling and e-sports. I never heard anything more about it. I have no idea what exactly they had in mind, or if they still intend to follow through with anything like that (or if they already have). ... or if what they ended up doing with TheMaven gives it an exclusive license that would preclude any other ways for the owners to bludgeon the SI name.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Well I think you put together a legit business plan and seek VC money, then you start small.

But look-- it's just an idea on how to save a beloved brand. The more practicing sports journalists there are out there, the better.

I think it's just too late.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

7. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

This got ignored before, so I'll ask it again with a little more.

How many people were actually laid off?
    What were their positions?
    ... and after thinking about it, how much were they making?

I find it hard to believe that with all the talented people at SI that no one has yet to put together a list of who got cut. I've seen estimates ranging from 20 people to half the newsroom. What exactly are we talking about here?
    Plus Pat Forde got added. Has anyone else been hired?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Here's APSE's list:
    Sports Illustrated layoffs included Mary Agnant, Scooby Axson, Ben Baskin, Kellen Becoats, Andy Benoit, Charlotte Carroll, John De Petro, Jacob Feldman, Jake Fischer, Dan Greene, Paul Lukas, Mark McClusky, Mark Mravic, Joan Niesen, Josh Oshinsky, DeAntae Prince, Tiffany Oshinsky, Daniel Rapaport, Tim Rohan, Khadrice Rollins, Jorge Ruiz, David Sanchirico, Andrew Sharp, Jon Taylor, and Bryce Wood. Sports Illustrated managing editor Chris Stone announced his departure prior to the layoffs. B.W. Carlin announced his departure from Sports Illustrated to work for the XFL.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The XFL or SI - that's a coin-flip.

10. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

So we're talking about 25 people, right?

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't know that APSE's list is complete.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is not

Draft saved Draft deleted