1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I'd certainly disagree on Deitsch. I like almost everything he writes, and he's become a respected voice when it comes to highlighting some of the best writing (not just sports) each week. His shtick on LeBron might be getting a little old, though.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Nobody does a worse job of trying to convince you he had to slog his way 270 feet (I'd say more like 310, but 270 is a rounder number for these purposes) around the bases than Sethie. And as others noted here, he'll be just as visible as ever, and nobody ever read his SI tripe anyway.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Deitsch lost me a bit during the ESPN layoffs when he got all holier-than-thou about not naming names and wore it like a badge of honor, as was discussed around here. I think he's gone soft on some subjects and over-the-top harsh on others.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Schnell, I think she's doing some work for the Comcast cable outlet out of Portland now.

I kind of wonder if there is a "dream job" in sports writing anymore, when SI and ESPN can't be counted on to withstand the market. My guess is that writing and covering sports - even at, and especially at - the top levels will be like being a radio DJ, going from market to market, job to job as whims change.

Who knows what happens with the Fox empire when Murdoch moves along.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He never takes a stand against anything but the lowest hanging fruit, like bayless or clay Travis. Have more balls. And the shit he pulled with the espn layoffs was a wimp move. You're a critic. Your job is to take positions and do things that piss people off. Nothing he writes or says ever moves the needle. And he has the backing of perhaps the most venerable brand in sports writing.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Good observation. Interest in college athletics is dying. Look at all the half empty bowl games. College football season is meaningless for 75% of the teams by week 6-7. College students would rather play on Twitter, Tinder, Instagram or Facebook than actually go to a game. Pro sports wag the dog now.

8. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Noticed two things today:
    1) buried in my latest SI is the news that "double issues" will be published almost every month with skipped weeks afterwards.
    2) even though my subscription ran out a couple of months ago, I still haven't received any requests to renew. Usually they'd start hounding me six months before the subscription end-date. That's not a good sign for SI.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had thought in recent months that I was seeing more double issues. Sigh.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I received my renewal notice yesterday, months out. Not the first one.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's still a market for college reporting if you want shovel shit and cover recruiting.

ESPN is propping up is NBA coverage because it has no choice, after overpaying for it.

ESPN is losing its TV share in college football, and is cutting accordingly.

With SI...I mean, they give away the coverage online. They just give it away.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Not ripping you, Doc, just wonder if everybody thinks your statements are true? Were the bowl games really half empty? Do students not go to the games? Cmon. I bet you they still go to games. Shit, they can play on twitter, facebook on their phones while watching the game. And is it true ESPN is beefing up its NBA coverage cause of a new contract and cutting down on college football? I just want to know if this stuff is really true or if you are making it up. Just wondering what everybody thinks on Doc's assertations.

Draft saved Draft deleted