1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 23, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The 40 layoffs are across all Time Inc. properties. Let's not turn a bad day into a bloodbath.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Right. Time Inc. Still humans who are out of work.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Plus 110 sales/ad folks last week. I don't think "bloodbath" is that far off.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh it's terrible. But I was just thinking in terms of if it had been 40 gone from SI as the original post stated, which would have crippled the ability to even put out a magazine. But a year after having my horse shot from underneath me, I absolutely empathize.
    JackReacher likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cisco announced 5,500 layoffs last week.

"Bloodbath" could be a tad dramatic here.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

These layoffs should be reported as percentage of the workforce to make sense. Cisco's was about 7 percent, which is bloodbath territory for a big company like that. What percentage is 40 out of Time Inc.'s editorial staffs?
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

According to this blog, the earlier 110 number represented 1.5 percent of the company's workforce.

RD Recap: WSJ Taps Next Washington Bureau Chief; Layoffs at Time Inc.

With the addition of 40 editorial employees, that pushes the total number to 2 percent, though I don't know what the editorial split is there. Also it appears that some of those dismissed are not layoffs but non-renewed freelance contract.
Draft saved Draft deleted