1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated Ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator_Hawks, Dec 20, 2011.

1. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

The problem is this: You have a legitimate story, and one "side" isn't going to say anything beyond a statement that's clearly b.s.

Given that, do you really lose much by letting the guy put it in his words?

I might have preferred an introduction from the editors to make sure the proper context is established, but I think the first-person account here is powerful.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The "other side" isn't just St. Joe's. How about some character background, precedent and other such important things that would have been in an investigative report but were missing here?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

He may not get his release but he has definitely caused problems for SJU basketball. Not a good time on Hawk Hill for the bald one.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I like what Geddy has to say here, but Versatile makes a good point. SI could have run a companion article with that TOB's account to provide the proper context.

That said, I'm not really sure what else SI would have gotten since Martelli and St. Joe's won't comment. They could have shown how his minutes decreased and given some background on his stats, but beyond that, what else is there to write about the benchwarmer besides what he's telling SI?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

If this guy is a benchwarmer - and he was- why keep him around? Let him go and give the space up for someone who could contribute more.

6. bigpern23

I agree 100 percent. I'm absolutely in the camp that Phil Martelli is a world-class jackass.

7. SI has the same problems the rest of the industry does, hence this piece of citizen journalism.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!

9. JackS

JackS Member

Flip that. If anything should be the secondary "companion" article, it's O'Brien's.

You can talk to a lot of people besides Martelli and the SJU PR machine. SI should not be in the business of posting unopposed citizen rants. Leave that to Joe Blogger.

10. bigpern23

I'll concede that point, but I'd bet anything the first-hand account gets the most page views.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This kind of shoddy stuff has been going on for a long time. I remember distinctly Sports Illustrated's "scoop" on the FSU Foot Locker "scandal." Sonya Steptoe reported that "half the football team" was there getting free stuff. In the same story, she quoted a player as saying "there were four carloads of players."

Doubt if you could fit half a football team (50 kids) in four cars. Later, it was shown that there were 11 players at the Foot locker -- hardly half the team. But 11 kids? That's about four carloads.

Even after the NCAA ruled that there were 11 players present, SI didn't issue a correction. The story is still in their vault -- with the curious math still intact: half the team, in four cars.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Maybe there were limos involved. Just sayin. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted