1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated: Carlos Beltran: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. You're obviously baked to the gills on something. Pass the duchy, Manky.

Among those players, only Mattingly comes within earshot of Cooperstown, but the last half of his career was pedestrian and he is deservedly out.

If you're going to claim anti-Yankee bias, I'm going to go nutso too and claim anti-Brewer bias.

Cecil Cooper was better than any of those players, save Mattingly (Maybe ... Mattingly had a great peak ... Cooper was rock solid for a longer period of time).

WHY ISN'T HE IN THE HALL?

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

The Brewers are well represented in the Hall, especially so for a franchise that has never amounted to anything.

You need to read up on Ron Guidry. He was the most dominant pitcher of his era.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Hall of Fame recognizes individual accomplishment. Team history is irrelevant. Once again, you demonstrate your complete ignorance regarding pretty much everything. Please do better next time you come trolling.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was there. He was the most dominant pitcher of 1978. He was very good. I hated the Yankees at the time, but liked him.

Still not even close to a Hall of Famer.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

LOL at Munson

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

The original Captain Intangibles.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I am going to point out a fallacy/failure of one of the pro Beltran arguments: He is one of eight members of the 300-300 clubs. so is Reggie Sanders, Steve Finley and Bobby Bonds, and none of them are going into the hall. The other four are Andre Dawson, Willie Mays, Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez...who all have more than 100 home runs than Beltran.

Beltran is closer in career to Sanders and Finley.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did his era begin and end in 1978?
    Nolan Ryan wants to throw one in your earhole for that comment. Steve Carlton would dogcuss you, but he's boycotting this board because it's media. Phil Neikro's ancient, craggy ass just mooned you, and Jim Palmer is giving you a weird smile in his underwear.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Nolan Ryan - Great pitcher but it must be remembered that he lost 10 or more games 17 times in his career.
    Steve Carlton - Probably the only pitcher that rivaled Guidry in dominance in the late 70s early 80s.
    Phil Niekro - The only Hall of Famer to lead the league in losses FOUR years in a row. He did this from 1978-81
    Jim Palmer - He was in the decline phase of his career when Guidry was most dominant

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Are you seriously trying to argue that Guidry was a better pitcher than Ryan and Carlton in the late 70s/early 80s? During the period when Carlton won three Cy Youngs to Guidry's one? When Ryan was striking out 200-plus (and often 300-plus) batters a year?
    Words fail me.
    You want to argue Guidry belongs in the HOF, I'll listen. He's got a case. But there's a reason he ain't in there and they were just waiting to stencil in the final playing year on Carlton's and Ryan's plaques.

Palmer had the last of four straight 20-win seasons in 1978, which was unquestionably Guidry's best year. He was also second in the Cy Young voting in 1982 and was on a World Series winner (albeit in a lesser role) in 1983. That constitutes "declining"?
    While Niekro was leading the league in losses (including two 20-loss seasons) he also pitched more than 300 innings three times, games started all four years, and was pitching for some dogshit Braves teams. Guidry never pitched 300 innings even once and was obviously on much better teams, which gave him more opportunity for wins.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

He was better than Ryan. Ryan, despite all the no-hitters and Ks was not the greatest pitcher of his time. Carlton was Guidry's only peer.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Here's the problem, Batman. You actually care about making sense. Manky does not.

Draft saved Draft deleted