1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated: Carlos Beltran: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Which player would spark a good HOF debate?

Tim Raines? Frank Thomas?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Neither should be up for debate.

Any Washington National would be a good one.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Debate? You can't be serious. Both belong.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree, but other than the steroid guys which players merit a debate?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thomas is in for sure. Raines should be - I think we actually have a Tim Raines thread around here somewhere.

Some of the interesting ones:

* Curt Schilling
    * Mike Mussina
    * Jack Morris
    * Lee Smith
    * Alan Trammell
    * Lou Whittaker
    * Fred McGriff
    * Edgar Martinez
    * Jeff Kent
    * Carlos Delgado
    * Trevor Hoffman
    * Jim Edmonds
    * Tim Hudson

A guy who will never get in, but would make a great candidate for the Hall of Very Good, is Kenny Lofton.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If Jim Edmonds gets in the HOF, I will never watch baseball again out of general principle.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

All should be in the Hall of Very Good. However, a good argument for the Hall of Fame could be put in for Jack Morris.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jack Morris would be pretty far down that list for me.

I just can't get past the ERA.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

How is Kent not in? Never really thought about it because he's the best offensive 2B ever or at least was considered that when he played.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I look at that list and see a lot of Hall of Famers, but then again I fall in the large hall category. The definite nos for me are Morris, Smith and Hudson is still going so I'd say no there, but I can see the argument for the others listed.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Beltran has had a better HOF career than Earle Combs. He's not had as good a career as Earl Averill. He's not been as good as Jim Edmonds, He's adding to his career now as a corner outfielder. This muddies his image a bit, but if Beltran had not come back from his nadir with the Mets, he would have been finished as a HOF candidate.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Answer: The Yankees have gone longer than any other franchise without drafting or signing a Hall of Famer. Most recent one was Mickey Mantle, signed in 1949. Obviously Jeter and Rivera will be inducted immediately after becoming eligible. Mattingly and Fred McGriff also have a decent shot are getting inducted.

Draft saved Draft deleted