1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated: April 14, 1997

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

They didn't have time. He had to rush out to an appointment with a dermatologist -- something about zits all over his back.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know Bamberger, but I'll issue some defense of him. He wrote around the "I bet he uses steroids" part as well as he could without coming right out and saying it. Of course, at the time readers and a lot of writers wouldn't have gotten the hint. The problem with the whole argument of "sportswriters were too soft on steroid users" is, how are you going to print that someone is using without having evidence? Should Bamberger have shoved a cup under Anderson after he excused himself to pee? Broken into his house and rooted through the drawers? Without a subpoena or a confession from a dealer, what could Bamberger go on without getting himself sued? In looking back, I'm guessing it was no accident SI put these two stories in the same issue. All you can do is hint. Like bring up the legitimate question of how Kenny Rogers put 4 MPH on his fastball in his late 30s, and let it hang like one of Mark Buehrle's 2006 first-inning curves.

Draft saved Draft deleted