1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Heroes to Zeros

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 10, 2012.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is it a coincidence that most of the best examples are Red Sox (Clemens, Ramirez, Beckett)? Is it possible that Boston fans are a little too sensitive?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Is it possible that Philly fans boo a lot?

3. Chuck Dickey

Chuck Dickey Member

Throw Nomar and Boggs into the mix, as well.

I'll be generous and say that perhaps it's possible that Red Sox fans make a larger emotional investment in the players. As a Yankees fan, I'm sure I've been guilty of the same thing at times, but I've never been like Bill Simmons, who somehow still feels personally slighted by Clemens.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Tiger Woods is a leader (um loser) in the clubhouse, but here are some others:

Pete Rose
    Mike Tyson
    Denny McClain

I am thinking stars who ended up in dire straits at the end (Mike Webster, Jim Thorpe) don't count.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

There was a time when Jeremy Mayfield, while maybe not one of the most popular drivers in NASCAR, was at least someone with a decent amount of fans. Now you probably couldn't get a crowd of people together to urinate on him if his meth lab caught on fire.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Chris Drury and Danny Briere. Those two could have ran the city if they wanted to. While Briere is still playing well, Drury is out of the league. It was Michael Peca all over again for Buffalo fans.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Manny is a good pick for both Boston and Los Angeles.

He went from beloved to hated in both places.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would nominate Jeff Kent -- for so many years he was viewed as the anti-Bonds and fans thought he was Mr. Hard Nosed Respectful Nice White Guy. Then they had the dugout fight in his last year in SF, and at the end of that year and especially after he left, boy did attitudes turn.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kent also greased the skids for his departure in spring training, claiming he got injured washing his truck, but really got hurt in a motorcycle mishap.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Are you serious? There's not nearly the invective spewed about Dumars as there was for Brandon Inge.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Same here. Haven't heard anyone calling for Dumars' head.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Isiah Thomas.
    Billy Cannon.
    Mark Chmura.
    Art Schlichter.

Draft saved Draft deleted