1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Guy's editor missed something...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Van Lingle Mungo, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't ask, don't tell.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Fair enough. I refer to all balls as "the orb" and I never use verbs. Ever. Too risky. :)

Seriously, though, I just try to think about whether something could be read in a certain way, and if so, I try to rework it. I don't think that's unreasonable. Apparently, I'm in the minority.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is honestly the most ridiculous thread I have read in a while. I know a lot of people don't care for his writing but to take any racial connotation out of poker analogy is insane. He set the whole thing up a paragraph before. Have the PC police really gone this far.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Grantland Rice rises from the dead and takes his old stool at Jack Dempsey's.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Former editor of mine said he was taught never to use the term "poured in" when writing about women's sports, as in "Jessica Jumper poured in 10 points on 5 of 49 shooting". I never understood that. I could understand not using "poured in" for "scored", but why specifically ban it for women?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And of course: "Poker? He doesn't even know her!"

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I do enjoy a muffed punt, though. :)

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rectum? It damn near killed 'em.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I would have changed it in heart(diamond)(club)beat. Let's put it this way -- whether you think it's ridiculous anyone might read racism into a white guy comparing a black basketball player in Boston to a spade, I wouldn't want to waste days and weeks responding to angry emails, sitting in bosses' offices, preparing apologetic statements, etc., for that turn of phrase. It's not like it was a brilliant, unimpeachable line.

Speaking of reading into things, I was at Great America yesterday, and saw a teen girl, 13-to-15-ish, wearing a pair of shorts with "Jump In!" on the butt. I'll leave it to the rest of you to figure out what signal she was intentionally or unintentionally signaling.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Two things: He wasn't "comparing" him to a spade. He didn't say "He looks like a spade." It was an analogy.

Secondly, the growth of the 'girls with things written on their asses' industry is frightening. Someone bought a baby outfit for my friend's newborn that said like "Tigger" on the ass. Who draws attention to a 6-month-old's ass? Goddamn pervs.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I know that. But not every reader is going to know that. And the perceived connotations of spade in this context are obvious enough, to me, anyway. Changing the suit wouldn't change the meaning of the phrase, and it would keep my phone quieter and my email box emptier.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I can't argue that, that changing it erases any problems. I'm just concerned that now someone's going to get fired for saying something they didn't even know was wrong. I mean, what happens if I (31 years old) send a story in and one of our young deskers read it, and neither of us have any idea of the origin of a word...then I'm fucked, with no intent or reason.

It's just...a reach to me. But I'm guessing we're from different generations, since I'd never heard this term in a racist context before.

Draft saved Draft deleted