1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Guy's editor missed something...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Van Lingle Mungo, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

never said he didn't. just pointing to a likelyhood.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

and I'm just verifying that he should weep because he sucks

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No, we remain at the point where having a basic mastery of which words mean what in which context is our job description.

"getting that fifth spade on the river"? In Boston? On a basketball team? Really?

Any reader over the age of about 40 might potentially read that sentence as a racist pun. Whether or not Simmons intended it; or whether or not he has readers over the age of 40 is immaterial.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I agree with jgmacg, so you can cast me as one of the "PC Police" if you so choose. The deck of cards has four suits, and only one of them could be interpreted as a racial slur when plugged into this metaphor. So why use that one?

It's the same reason you don't say someone "went down with an injury" or some team rallied for a "come-from-behind" victory. It's obvious you don't actually MEAN something sexual, but the connotation is possible, so you avoid it.

In my view, it's not being overly PC, it's showing a little common sense.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'd say Simmons is less guilty of using a bigoted term than he is of employing (yet another) shopworn cliche with the poker analogy. How fresh! How current! How now, brown cow!

Sportsworld's most respected blogger strikes again!

P.S. Twenty years ago I heard a guy make an emphatic point in conversation, ending with "I'm just calling a spade a shovel."

6. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Still not as bad as spearchucker

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Not even close.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. And seriously, wouldn't it be better all around (if you are going to use poker cliches) to refer to a new black basketball player as a diamond than as a spade?

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Seriously?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

clubs = abuse and murder of seals
    diamonds = obviously blood diamonds
    hearts = a dig at Dick Cheney

Sports Guy would have been better off using an UNO deck.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's an urban legend that seems to have started in the 1970s. While men were allowed to beat their wives -- there was never a rule about the size of the beating tool based on the width of the man's thumb.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/307000.html

And if someone in HR tells you that you can't use that phrase because of an urban legend, I say tell 'em to stick it where the sun don't shine.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yes. Why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted