1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/general assignment writer - Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, May 13, 2009.

1. jetssack

jetssack Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=691502

Company: The Argus-Press
    Position: Sports/general assignment writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: June 17, 2009
    Job ID: 691502

Description:
    The Argus-Press of Owosso, Mich., is adding a full-time staff position. We’re looking for someone who can primarily handle sports, but isn’t afraid to tackle a good news story. The sports department covers 10 area high schools. Also, thanks to our proximity to Lansing, Ann Arbor and Detroit, sports writers occasionally have the chance to get their feet wet writing about big-time athletics. This is primarily an evening and weekend position taking sports calls, covering games and keeping stats from September to June. On the news side, this position will produce feature stories, cover occasional breaking news, work on special sections and cover meetings when other staffers are unavailable. You should be ready for anything. Quark and photoshop experience will be looked upon favorably. Last year, we won 11 Michigan Press awards, including notice for both general excellence and sports coverage. Our staff has won 17 AP awards in the past three years. We do good work here and you will as well. Resumes and clips may be sent to Dan Basso, Sports Editor, at drbasso@chartermi.net or mailed to 201 E. Exchange St., Owosso, MI 48867.

2. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

Anyone have info on this gig?

3. Rhodey3

Rhodey3 Guest

This is my current position for the next few weeks. I would be more than happy to answer any questions through personal message or email.

For the record, The Argus-Press is a great place for anyone to get a start at. I would encourage anyone interested to apply.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why are you leaving? Moving up or out of the biz?

5. Rhodey3

Rhodey3 Guest

Is there such a thing as moving up anymore?

OK, sorry. Cynicism done.

I am going to grad school and getting out of the business, which probably makes me a bit of a martyr on this board. I don't want that to reflect on the Argus-Press though. It's a great job for people who have more ambition to stay in this business than I do.

Nothing wrong with the job. My decision was much more based on the career, or lack there of, that journalism will probably provide in the future.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with that, Rhodey. Gotta look out for yourself, no one else will. But it's good that you can speak positively of your last paper.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

$20-25K a year? Are you f'ing kidding me?

I just shake my head when I hear places still paying people so little, yet there's still interest for the job.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sheesh, my first job out of college was $15K. Yeah, OK, so that was 20 years ago, gas was 85 cents per gallon and a nice apartment went for $250 per month.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anyone employed in the state of Michigan right now should feel fortunate.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Had a similar job in Michigan a few years back at 19k.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Hopefully that was sarcasm.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

For the size of the paper, the money seems about right.

Draft saved Draft deleted