1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports gambling legalized

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, May 14, 2018.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Where is the line that separates a variance between odds at various books and an "obvious" error?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's why the state agency approval is mandated to rescind bets.

There's definitely a gray area and judgment involved. If it's posted as 80-1 when it's 8-1 everywhere else, that's pretty clearly someone accidentally keying in an extra zero. If it's posted as 15-1 instead of 8-1, there's no logic behind how that would be accidental, so the book probably takes it in the shorts.

There's almost nothing in the world that goes off at 750-1. That's for things like a futures bet on the Browns winning the Super Bowl. This is the easiest case you'll ever see under the governing regulations.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So now, anyone... in the new states that have legalized sports betting - is it 11 to win 10 on a straight bet?

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yes in NJ

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see some -115 or -120 as rhe standard in the new states that legalize without a lot of competiton.

poindexter likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Minus-110 seems to be the standard in Mississippi.

exmediahack and poindexter like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's the question the director at the Superbook asks -- and said they'd pay the guy. Count me as impressed.

poindexter likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Very fascinating argument... where is the line???

I will say this: MANY times I have gone up to the window after making a bet, and telling them "I made a mistake, I bet on team 262 and I meant to bet on team 263" and they have always replaced my ticket, no questions asked.

Then again, this was before the game went off; and I am betting peanuts.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The chances for errors in the in-running space are massive, both in terms of setting inaccurate lines and these types of obvious errors). I'm not sure what the vig is on these bets, but I wonder what their profits from in-running are.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just shows how much money they have to throw around.

Draft saved Draft deleted