1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/GA Reporter - The Daily World (Helena, Ark.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ouipa, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ouipa

ouipa Member

From jjobs:

Company: The Daily World
    Position: sports reporter and general assignment reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: March 31, 2008
    Job ID: 336998

Description:
    The Daily World in Helena has an immediate opening for a sports and general assignment reporter. The sports job is a 40-hour a week position and requires covering several area high school sports teams. Some weekend and night work is required. Experience with MacIntosh, Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop and QuarkExpress would be helpful. We are fully equipped with digital cameras. Interested applicants should call 870-338-9181, e-mail photo and writing samples to editorial@helena- arkansas.com or send resumes to: Sports Writer, The Daily World, P.O. Box 340, Helena, AR 72342. When e-mailing stories send all submissions in text format

-------------------------

Anyone got any info on this paper and this area - circulation, staff, coverage load, the works? Would this be an entry-level hire?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

From what I know about that market size, it's definitely entry-level ... for a sports writer who doubles as a photographer.

What was the name of that Slade hit?

3. Let me see if I can help.
    I would estimate the circulation being around 5,000, if that much. The paper is published Monday through Friday afternoons and Sunday morning (although the paper is done on Saturday morning and used to be on the racks by Saturday afternoon).
    Basically, the coverage area is Phillips County, Arkansas, which has seen its share of decline for about 20 years now. In 1990, West Helena had about 11,000 people and Helena was teetering around 10,000, and the last numbers had West Helena around 8,000 and Helena around 5,600 and now combined as one city instead of two.
    As far as sports coverage, you have five football teams (three public, two private), with Elaine joining the fray in basketball. The public schools are Helena-West Helena Central, Barton and Marvell, while DeSoto Academy and Marvell Academy play in the Mississippi Private School Association.
    I can give you more information that you need if you just PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted