1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/GA reporter, Manning, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Jun 18, 2010.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1177845

By Division I college football, I suppose they mean U. of South Carolina?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Plenty of FCS schools in South Carolina. This ad is patronizing. It doesn't rank up there with Farmington or Homer, though, quite yet.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just so you guys know, this is a bit of a start-up.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=85014

"Manning, SC (WLTX) -- Barry Moore seems very happy while speaking to him on the phone. Though Moore, the owner of The Manning Times, has plenty to be unhappy about.

His entire staff decided to walk out on him, apparently quitting to start their own paper. But don't let the word "entire" fool you. It may sound big, but Moore says his is a small paper."

And my guess would be that you're going to cover S.C. State, a pretty decent MEAC/I-AA team football team. Still, I would ask a hell of a lot of questions on this one.
    And the paper is still w/o a Web site.

4. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

You'll get to cover the wonderful, mysterious U.S. Senate candidate — Alvin Greene.

5. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

They do not cover S.C. State. Really, they don't cover, well, much. The paper they walked out on got better when they walked out, but that's just my two cents on that. I wouldn't touch this job.

6. bl67550

bl67550 Member

Gawd I actually sent my stuff in on this one...please please please don't contact me so I have to be awkward on the phone :p This sounds like a horrible situation once I read further into it.

7. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Yeah. These guys, basically, put out a paper and, without any notice, called up the head of the chain and said, 'Hey, we're all quitting to start our own paper.' At least, that's what I've heard ... and I have VERY good sources on this one. It was, at the least, one of the most unprofessional things I've ever heard of. If you don't want to work for someone, give notice, tell them why and get out. But, this group left their last paper hanging ... just like that. And, like I said, the paper they left actually got better after they left. Seriously, the other paper is getting GREAT reviews on the new staff.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Judging from the ad, they didn't take any copy editors with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted