1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Enterprise Writer -- Memphis (Tenn.) Commercial Appeal,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jan 7, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Commercial Appeal of Memphis is seeking a sports enterprise reporter, a showcase position in print and online. The role includes series, projects, investigations, major profiles and other takeouts, game and major event coverage, and a regular Web-first feature; subjects include Grizzlies, University of Memphis basketball, Southeastern Conference football, and Memphis' pro golf and tennis tournaments. We're looking for a dogged reporter with an eye for detail, and a writer with depth and flair. The successful candidate will also understand the realities of the industry and be able to balance larger projects with shorter-term stories and the department's daily needs. Candidates should have at least three years of daily newspaper experience.

To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
    http://scripps.contacthr.com/18226959

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1224240
    Last posted April 2010: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/77061/

Looks like a dandy gig.

2. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

Does sound like a terrific gig. I believe I've seen this one listed a few other times. Wonder what the story is behind that part...

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Was near being filled, I think, last year around now ... then taken off the board for other positions inside the paper. Interesting to see it back ...

rb

4. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Dan Wolken was listed in this position for the past six months or so but he announced on his radio show in memphis last month that he moving to new york to take a position with some new venture that murdoch has going. Wolken, who had covered the Tigers basketball beat, had recently been listed on the website as a columnist/enterprise writer.

5. Translation: Don't expect to travel or be paid like -- what was the word? -- a "showcase" writer.

6. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Anybody know of a pay range for this gig?

7. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

When you earn the salary of a HS dropout at a Podunk paper, "Less than 60k" sounds like you won the Powerball.

8. Louisiana Rain

Louisiana Rain New Member

What is the "new venture that Murdoch has going?"

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Murdoch thing discussed here:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/80852/

10. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

It was something to do with the ipad and writing for it. I live an hour outside of Memphis, but always enjoyed Wolken's radio show. It was a bit of a surprise I think when he announced he was leaving. He didn't give a lot of details other than he was moving to New York and would be working for Murdoch and you could read his stuff soon on the ipad.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

That Scripps website sucks. I tried logging in from a past job search, and it automatically applied me for this position without giving me a chance to review my information, CV, resume, etc. What a joke.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is bad. God knows if anything in/on it will even be looked at.

I, too, got onto my profile from a past search, and, the system filed it before I'd even put any new information on it. Basically, what I did then was, I got back on the profile, updated my info to fit the new position, submitted it, and then, got back on it and edited it again, as needed, and confirmed. It was the only way I could tell to go through that system.

My stuff, however, is there with no clips included. I tried to attach them in the only place I saw where that might have been possible, by putting them on there and confirming a couple of them. But, then, with each one added, the previous one didn't appear to be there anymore.

For better or worse, a cover letter and resume, at least, are in there, though, and the process, hopefully, is done as wanted/needed in order for my stuff to be considered.

Draft saved Draft deleted