1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports enterprise, Memphis, Tn

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Commercial Appeal is seeking a sports enterprise reporter, a showcase position in print and online. The role includes series, projects, major profiles and other takeouts, game and major event coverage, and a regular Web-first feature; subjects include Grizzlies, University of Memphis basketball, Southeastern Conference football, and Memphis’ pro golf and tennis tournaments. We’re looking for a dogged reporter with an eye for detail, and a writer with depth and flair. The successful candidate will also understand the realities of the industry and be able to balance larger projects with shorter-term stories and the department’s daily needs.
    Interested candidates should email resume, cover letter and work samples to Sports Content Editor David Williams at williams@commercialappeal.com.

2. bwright

bwright Member

A real primo gig.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Has the makings of a real primo gig. It's great to see that there's an opening but there has been a lot of movement at the C-A. Hopefully, the job will stay as advertised but be warned, it could be a bait and switch thing too.

4. This would replace Scott Cacchiolo (sp.?) who has moved on to New York and (I believe) the Wall Street Journal.

Scott did an awesome job, but I am STUNNED that they are filling this position, given all the upheaval at the CA lately. If it is filled as described, it really is a great gig, but I'd want some assurances about my future, particularly being a new hire at a union paper.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

absolutely.

6. asuhouse

asuhouse New Member

Do we have the contact information for this?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

yes

8. asuhouse

asuhouse New Member

Thanks

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

As Christopher Walken might say on SNL, "Wowee wow wow wow." Primo gig indeed. Good luck to all who apply. May have to put a bid in myself.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That is a big boy (or girl) job. Best wishes to all who chase after it.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I know directly of one applicant, who is currently in a big-boy job who would be PRIMO for this one. This surely could attract LOTS of candidates, alas.

rb

12. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Nice to see an opening of this quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted