1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor's OT lawsuit against Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gannettblog, Aug 14, 2010.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

As a sports reporter in the '80s and early '90s, which wasn't THAT long ago, I suppose I regularly worked 60 or so hours a week and still felt I had PLENTY of time for dating, golf, movies, vacations, whatever.

This whole debate about federal wage/hours laws, exempt vs. nonexempt, OT rules, 40-hour work weeks, workplace lawsuits, etc. never entered the equation---just didn't enter my mind. Seemed pretty much the same with others on staff around me.

That said, I'm also pretty sure that companies are limited as to what % of their employees can be classified exempt----you just can't declare 80% of your employees exempt then work them 70-80 hours a wek. I"m no legal expert, but I'm thinking that's the case.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You should be applauded for your work ethic, but you probably cost yourself a couple hundred by not taking the full week and collecting unemployment.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends on the state.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How awfully arrogant of you.
    I'd bet those lowly blue collars workers are making a hell of a lot more money than 95% of the people on this board.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I would expect that you would read the posts before commenting.
    Perhaps that's too much to ask.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Folks didn't spend $100k or more on a college education to be considered "blue-collar worker(s)."

I'm kind of insulted when I'm told I'm supposed to take Walmart-style wages after dropping the amount of money (nowhere near $100k) I did on my degree.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Since most reporters/editors work in a friggin' cubicle, they are white collar workers.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I don't care what color my collar is unless I get above the poverty line I'm working 40 hours period. If I'm offered OT I'll take it. If they want me to work it for free they can stuff it.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A few news reporters at the last shop complained they couldn't afford furloughs and then they took scattered days off. Me? I took a full week, and when I returned my boss asked me where my weekly feature was (they were do each Wednesday for me). I told him I was not employed by the company that week, and in two days (the next Wednesday) I would have it for him. He was not very happy with this.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Tough shit.

Good for you for not working for free.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yep, we went through that too. The irony is some folks have been hammered for not checking/replying to email while on vacation.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I would have said worse. The dick should be left living in a box under an overpass.

Draft saved Draft deleted