1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editors, Atlanta, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 8, 2009.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This isn't the service, TBF.
    They don't move you. You pay. Pay for everything.
    Then get paid nothing. Then dumped with nothing.
    Sound good to you?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Do you realize I was a journalist for about eight years? Yes. I understand.

I worked for Boone Newspapers, and pretty much all those things happened to me. But it was a paycheck, and it allowed me to support my family ... so I didn't argue. And with as many jobless journalists as there are out there, I don't think you've got much room to be choosy. It's a job. If you don't have one, you take it.

3. fishwrapper

You do realize I was in the military, right? ;)
    Nah, I know what you're saying. But, these shit-ass outfits will get you out there, work you for a few months then send you packing. I've seen it all too much.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Well, like I said in my post above, fishwrap, you absolutely should not move to take this job. Nor should you quit another job to take it. The only way you should consider it is if you're already in the Atlanta area and are currently jobless. And you should consider it then only as a stop-gap until you can find something better. If you take it, always have your eye on whatever your next move might be.

But yes, it's a steady paycheck and, if you keep your expectations in line with the crap that is the Brumby chain, it can make you money until you can get yourself back on your feet. Not that many places are hiring. They are and, if you're already in Atlanta, you've probably got a decent shot if you have some experience. It's a shitty gig, no doubt. But it's a gig. And you know what they say about beggars ...

5. fishwrapper

...cut off a leg. You make more money.

Draft saved Draft deleted