1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It also appears to be a resort town where "the cost of living is as low as it goes." Something doesn't add up here.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I live in a resort area and the cost of living is pretty low. The definition of "resort" in the Midwest is pretty vague. A resort could be a few shacks next to a lake.

And no, this job isn't at my paper.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Have they moved Martinsville to the Midwest?

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

at least as far as you know.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

There's several places that have retreat centers, if that's what they mean by "resort". I can think of one in Wisconsin, though the name escapes me at the moment. The D-II Juco volleyball national tournament was held there.

Of course, one could argue that Branson is a resort town.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn, you beat me to it.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Me wonders if they just want to collect resumes and see what's out there before deciding what the going rate is to pay someone.

Let's face it, EVERY town has preps and little league and quite a few have a small college here or there. Now, bowling? That's a different matter. Wonder if they mean PBA Tour (which had a stop in one town I worked in) or just the Thursday night league special with Bubba and Uncle Tommy.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

26,000 circulation ain't all that shabby.

9. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

One could argue that Camdenton and Lake Ozark are both resort areas, too. I know one of those two were looking for someone a few weeks ago, but I don't remember which.

I also know there is no way Lake Ozark is 26k in circulation, and I'm inclined to remember that was the paper looking a few weeks ago.

I'm going to have to believe there's a good shot this could be Branson. A lot of people living in the area regularly now instead of just using it for vacations.

There are some good resort towns in northern Arkansas, too.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

To call Branson or northern Arkansas "midwest" seems to be stretching it a little, don't you think?

And, yeah, 26,000 is respectable,although I learned at a previous job that there is a real difference between rural circulation and city circulation. You might have 18,000 readers in the city and a whole bunch more in the sticks, simply because you're the only paper around.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I was going to post a parody of the original ad but as I was changing things, I started wondering if, instead of creating a parody, I was making the ad seem more accurate.

(sighs deeply) :-\

12. Petrie

Petrie Guest

[​IMG]

This guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted