1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, writer needed in Kansas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HandsomeHarley, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That changes my perspective. I will now apply for them all.

2. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

Anybody actually apply and/or hear where this is at?

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I am supposed to meet someone in a dark alley on 0:900 hours on Tuesday...I was going to double check the location, but the "interview" package they sent self-destructed moments after I opened it. Oh yes, I'm supposed to wear sunglasses and pick up a briefcase left next to a garbage can on my way :)

4. NegativeVertical

NegativeVertical New Member

That's a lot of work for one collage.

5. If there's a parking deck in town, maybe you could meet there at night. Remember to check the flowerpot first.

6. Riding Phat

Riding Phat Member

A friend of mine that actually sent in their resume for these gigs just heard back...seems the paper is the Great Bend Tribune. Googled it and found out a bit of info. Anybody have anything to add?

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Not sure why they advertised it like this. They had an opening about two years ago and advertised online.

I know the sports guys take their own pics but they have full-time page designers that lay out the paper. That could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on your skills.

Last time I rode through there, the SE was a young guy, but a nice enough kid.

8. billikens

billikens Member

Worked for the Tribune for 3 years. Near the end of 2005, and I think they've gone through 4 or 5 different SEs in that time, including two guys who've left, come back, then left again. You pretty much just have to accept that you're going to a small town in the middle of no where to do a job.

A few bits of info, but this is now almost 5 years removed, so take it for what it's worth:

- Don't expect much in terms of pay. If it was any higher than $27K, I'd be shocked, but I'm guessing closer to $23-25. When I started, with no experience, I think I was at around 18K.
    - Rent there is super cheap. I think my first place was a 2-bedroom duplex that ran $300 a month.
    - Expect to work a lot. A lot. There's GB High School, which is 5A. Barton County Community College, which has a solid athletic program. And about 8 area schools. So if it's a 1-man job, you'll have a lot of ground to cover. Even with 2, it's still close to 50 hours on an average week, 65 during the regional/state weeks. But closer to 30 during the summer.
    - Can't speak for the area schools, but many of the GB coaches are still there, and were always great to work with. Can't think of a single bad thing to say about the coaches. And the BCCC basketball coach is one of my favorite coaches of all time.
    - The GB athletic program is solid. In the last decade, they won 2 baseball state titles, 2 basketball state titles, went to the girls basketball state championship twice and football state championship once.
    - The people at the Tribune are nice. Likely won't be much help in terms of coverage, but they're not bad folks to share a workspace with.
    - You'll be taking your own photos, and, when I was there, we designed all of our pages as well, although I heard they'd changed that.
    - If you're young and single, there's not a whole lot going on. A few bars for the locals. And one bar or the college kids/younger people.
    - I met my now wife at the junior college there, so it's not impossible. Although it does mean I'm now tied to GB forever. Sooooooo.......

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Last I knew, Mr. Mesh was back there.

Draft saved Draft deleted