1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, writer needed in Kansas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HandsomeHarley, Apr 30, 2010.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

From the Kansas Press Association jobs board:

WANTED – Eager, hungry, energetic sports writer to cover state- and nationally-contending high school and college athletic programs for a daily newspaper launching into the world of new media. This full-time position requires a reliable professional who possess good writing and communications skills, has reliable transportation, and a passion for sports. There will be weekend and evening hours. If this fits you, please send letter, clips, resume and references to ebradbury@kspress.com with EB-3044 in the subject line.

WANTED – Sports editor passionate about local sports to energetically lead a two-person department in covering high school and collage programs that are perennial state and national contenders. This full-time position is responsible for coordinating daily multimedia sports coverage and reporting. Must be reliable and professional, possess good writing and communications skills, have reliable transportation, and most importantly, a desire for excellence. Weekend and evening hours required. If this is you, please send letter, clips, resume and references to ebradbury@kspress.com with EB-3043 in the subject line.

Anyone know where this might be?

2. I don't know exactly where, but I do love a good collage.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

A shadow ad, huh? In other words, "We're getting rid of the sports staff now, but they don't know it yet."

You'd think a journalism job ad could be spelled corrrectly ...

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I have never once applied for a job that's too afraid to tell you who they actually are, and I never will.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Which was the town in Kansas that had a paper where the whole staff quit and started a new paper? Was it even in Kansas? Could this be related somehow?

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

It was that evil Liberal media, wasn't it?

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I love me a good play on words. Well done, Smokey. And considering this ad apparently enjoys play on words ("collage"), perhaps you'd be a perfect fit! :)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, I did once and, while I didn't get the job, turned it into a semi-steady three-year gig writing corporate communications for a construction company between $50-70 per hour.

9. HandsomeHarley

That paper was the Southwest Daily Times in Liberal. The whole newsroom, including publisher, walked out and formed the High Plains Daily Leader.

The Leader kicked everyone's ass in the Kansas Press Association contests last month.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It was the Times going from daily to 3 times a week that began the exodus of people leaving. It had the daily paper in Guymon, Okla., bragging for a short time on its website that it was the only daily paper serving the Oklahoma panhandle "and neighboring counties in southwest Kansas."

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So I guess if the Times isn't daily anymore, that rules out this posting.

12. HandsomeHarley

The Times never really was shy about advertising. Same with Dodge City, Junction City, Great Bend and Emporia.

I'm trying to think of papers with two-man shops that might fall into this category. The only ones that come to mind would be Manhattan, Olathe or Hays.

One dark-horse candidate would be Leavenworth.

They needed an ASE a few years back, and I read on here about troubles at their shop. I e-mailed the SE and asked him about the rumors. I received a reply, not from him, but from the ME, basically ripping me for asking.

Later that year, they were advertising for a new SE. I just put 2+2 together and moved on.

Draft saved Draft deleted