1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Winchester, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 20, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Winchester Star, a 20,000-circulation daily in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, is seeking a sports editor to lead a three-member department, along with coordinating copy from stringers. We’re looking for an editor with strong communication, planning and design skills to focus on local sports, including enterprise and columns. Includes coverage of five local high school sports programs, Division III Shenandoah University, and the Valley Baseball League, an NCAA-sanctioned summer league. The successful candidate will have enthusiasm, proven editing and leadership skills, strong writing talents, and a minimum of two years supervisory experience.

Daily duties include planning coverage, choosing wire stories, designing pages, editing copy, and writing occasional stories and a weekly column. The ability to juggle a number of tasks on deadline will be critical. Nights and some weekend work is required.

Send resumes and clips to mhileman@winchesterstar.com or mail to: Maria Hileman, Managing Editor, Winchester Star, 2 N. Kent St., Winchester, Va. 22601

2. NoleBrian

NoleBrian New Member

The summer league baseball games are fun and get some good players going through. My aunt and uncle own/manage the Harrisonburg Turks and they regularly have top D-1 players there. And the area is gorgeous. Good opportunity for someone.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Funchester!

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's a pretty area if you're into mountains (it's been some time since I've seen the product). But be warned: For being kinda small-town, Winchester and the Northern Shenandoah Valley is surprisingly pricey. Some hearty souls commute from there, Front Royal or Strasburg to D.C., which is 60-90 minutes away, depending on what part of the metro you're heading to.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Just through there on 50 this spring as part of my baseball trip. Gorgeous community, nice downtown. Don't know much about rental prices there, but I trust Mystery Meat on that one. Seems like the entire Northern Virginia area can be expensive on some things.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Expensive is relative. The northern Shenandoah is peanuts compared to the D.C. universe. Trust me. I don't know much about the paper, but the area is nice. And while it's not necessarily close to much, two interstates run right through the area (81 and 66), so places like D..C., Richmond and Baltimore are pretty accessible. It's also really close to West Virginia! You could live in a lot worse places.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's certainly not Arlington, Falls Church or the District, but it can be surprisingly expensive for a small city in the valley. I managed to find a $400/month studio near my office when I worked in the area briefly, but I also knew people spending $800+ for one-bedrooms in Winchester. Certainly nothing like Danville, where $425 a month gets you a two-bedroom apartment with new appliances, W/D and hot and cold running tobacco.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Strung a few prep games for them back in the day. Best wishes.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is a fairly competitive market, right? Doesn't The Northern Virginia Daily cover a lot of the same schools?

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I laughed really hard at this. There is really only one thing you need to know about the area:

http://www.spelunkerscustard.com/

I would not bullshit you about these hamburgers. Unreal.

Yeah, Winchester probably is a little pricey when you're talking about apartment/home prices, but it's an affordable area, by and large. I absolutely loved living there in the fall. Farmers' markets, foliage, crisp air, orchards, haunted houses, perfect temperatures...great, great time to live in the Shenandoah. Winter sucked.

11. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Any idea on the salary for this one?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who left?

Winchester is a good area. Was back there a few weeks ago for the first time since I left the area in 2006. The place has blown up, relatively speaking. And yeah, the NVD covers just about every school that the Star covers. Lots of overlap. I wouldn't expect a big salary, but it will be plenty to live on in that area.

Draft saved Draft deleted