1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Williston Herald (N. Dakota)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=964335

The Williston Herald is seeking a sports editor who enjoys community journalism and everything the great outdoors has to offer. Publishing six days a week, the high school and junior college teams in the Herald's market area have strong traditions. You also have the opportunity to live in the heart of a premier hunting and fishing area that's adjacent to the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers. The individual we seek should have solid sportswriting, editing, layout and photography skills and supervisory experience. To apply send your best five samples of writing, photography and layout to: Alan Reed, managing editor, The Williston Herald, 14 4th St. W. Williston, N.D., 58801, or e-mail areed@willistonherald.com

Pay is $25k-30k. Circulation is less than 12,000 (that's the best I've got).

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Williston's close to the north unit of the Badlands (Theodore Roosevelt National Park). There's an oil boom in the region. Has a strong tradition of high school sports and Williston Keybirds American Legion baseball.

It's windy and it gets pretty damn hot in the summer and pretty damn cold in the winter. And it's isolated; about seven hours to Fargo, 11 to Minneapolis, and about 11-12 to Denver, if you need a metro fix. I actualy think Saskatoon and Calgary are the closest "big" cities.

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

PM with questions.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's 420 miles from Williston to Fargo, and there isn't a direct route, especially if you do the ND 23/52 or ND 200/52 cutacross down to I-94, or decide to stop off at the Long X Bar in Grassy Butte for some liquid supplies.

If you can make it in four hours, more power to you, but you'd best watch out for the North Dakota State Police. Might be closer to six hours than seven from Williston! Williston! Williston! (inside joke to anyone who ever covered WDA athletics) to Fargo, but it's roughly two hours to Minot or two hours to Dickinson and both of those cities are about four hours from Fargo. (You can Zip to Zap rather quickly, though).

Williston's also the hometown of Phil Jackson, but that's irrelevant since he hasn't lived there in about 45 years.

5. Regina's only about 2-3 hours away, too, if you want to get a CFL fix.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love North Dakotans. I fucking hate North Dakota.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

North Dakota. Honestly, it's one of the few places I have never thought about, let alone living or working there.

Would be a trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted