1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Wichita Falls (Texas) Times Record

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Nov 8, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Sports Editor contributes to and supervises a reporting team that is the community's leading source of local sports news across multiple platforms, with a focus on immediacy, utility and inclusion. The Sports Editor is a multimedia journalist who utilizes all available technologies before, during and after the game. Key topics include, but are not limited to, high school, college, professional and recreational sports. The Sports Editor may work a day, evening or weekend shift.

Key activities

Job-specific responsibilities include:

Ensuring the news organization is the dominant local source for sports news via all digital means, leading with a focus on immediacy and impact.
    Coordinating text and visual content from a variety of sources, including staff members, correspondents, wire services and user-generated reports.
    Directing multimedia journalists to cover day-to-day sporting events and develop feature and enterprise reports with text, video and still photography.
    Coordinating with the Data Editor on sports agate, schedules and related resources.

The Four Pillars:

In addition to supporting the deadline pillar, the Sports Editor is expected to work collaboratively with colleagues focused on watchdog, grassroots and data-driven journalism to provide audiences with a complete and comprehensive local news report.

Social Media/Inclusion

Facilitating inclusive reporting and recognizing the role that user generated content can and should play in the development of the news organizations sports coverage.
    Engaging readers through social media, directing staff to respond to reader comments and pursue other avenues for interacting with audiences.
    Monitoring competitors' Web sites and TV/radio broadcasts as well as phones, e-mail and social networking accounts (e. g. Twitter, Facebook) to ensure the most comprehensive, competitive coverage.

Quality Control and Curation

Assuring quality by closely editing content as it is published across a variety of platforms.
    Editing content and interacting with print edition editors to carry out daily plan for the printed edition.
    Establishing and facilitating coordination with the central desk to assure effective, high-impact presentation and efficient, on-time flow of content.
    Overseeing the curation of staff- and user-generated content online and through the editorial front-end archiving systems with an emphasis on audience access and utility. Curation is defined as the gathering, discernment, distribution and continual fostering of content that is relevant to our audiences.

General

Meeting performance measurements and metrics as specified by the Editor.
    Reflecting diverse communities in all content.
    Actively participating with the editor and other newsroom leadership to align work and organizational resources with strategic goals.
    Involvement in short and long-term content planning, including developing advance coverage plans for anticipated events.
    Managing newsroom resources and direct-report activity against annual budget and plan.
    Managing a staff of approximately XX employees to include hiring, training, supervising, counseling, developing and evaluating employees; conducts and submits annual performance appraisals in accordance with company policies and federal/state regulations; in conjunction with HR resolves employee concerns
    Conducting staff meetings and webinars to keep direct reports and field personnel up-to-date with metrics, progress and new initiatives.
    Supervising direct-report job functions and providing guidance and training as necessary.
    Evaluating direct reports and keeping them up-to-date with metrics, progress and new initiatives.
    Working with other Scripps editors with similar job responsibilities/titles to share content, ideas, systems, work flows and best practices seamlessly. Recognizing all are part of a Scripps-wide team of newsroom leaders.
    Maintaining positive working relationships with teams in all areas of the newsroom.
    Helping establish guidelines and processes to support local initiatives.
    Ensuring fairness in coverage, sensitivity to community expectations and balanced content.
    Inspiring people and encouraging teamwork; being open-minded and flexible to new thinking.
    Adhering to all E. W. Scripps and local company policies, procedures and Code of Ethics.

Education & Experience/Certifications

Typically requires a BS/BA in news/media discipline or equivalent experience.
    Generally 5+ years experience in news/media field.
    Must have prior supervisory responsibility.
    Must have proven leadership and organizational skills and be able to function as a team leader and team player.
    Must have a track record of coaching, mentoring and fostering staff development.

Skills & Abilities

Must understand and be able to use digital and video technology, mapping and other technology to bolster sports reports.
    Must be able to work nights and weekends.
    Must be aware of industry trends and best practices involving sports journalism.
    Must be a self-starter, capable of demonstrating outstanding news judgment with minimal supervision.
    Must have outstanding editing and writing skills.
    Must have strong working knowledge of Associated Press style.
    Must be thoroughly versed in the fundamentals of news reporting, including issues involving privacy, libel, access and ethics.
    Must demonstrate attention to detail in both word editing and coding for electronic publication.
    Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) as well as have working knowledge of web publishing tools and HTML.
    Must have in-depth knowledge of social networking applications, story commenting process and other audience interaction tools.
    Must understand how to interact with audiences across platforms and to formulate multi-platform strategies that drive new audience and maximize existing audience.
    Must be aware of how delivery of journalism is changing rapidly and demonstrate ability to align work to respond to such changes.
    Must be a multi-tasker who can perform well under deadline pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
    Must have outstanding skills in time management and setting priorities.
    Must be comfortable exploiting UGC resources to benefit of the newspaper's content.
    Must demonstrate openness and capacity to seek new opportunities and adopt new ways of doing things.
    Must hold high standards and have ability to demand high quality and productivity from staff members.
    Must exhibit high standards of accuracy and fairness.
    Must have strong communication and presentation skills.

Work environment

A moderate level of mobility is required in expediting work flow processes and procedures.
    Must be physically able to sit at a work station and maintain productivity for upwards of eight (8) hours on occasion.
    Must have a valid driver's license, a good driving record, access to an automobile and possess the company's required level of personal auto liability coverage.
    A relatively high degree of mental acuity and social skills are necessary to successfully interact with coworkers, newsroom supervisors, and the general public, often under time-sensitive conditions.

http://www.scripps.com/job-details?rid=7062

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Managing a staff of approximately XX employees

I assume that's an editing error, not the Roman numeral for 20 ...

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I figured Andy Newberry was a shoo-in to be promoted to this job. Guess not.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

pretty sure they have to post it even if they have someone in mind. Happened to me once. Definitely made me worry.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Usually someone is in mind most places when they post these jobs. It's happened to me too. Still, good luck to all applicants!

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I believe this post has come open a couple of times in recent years.

7. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

pretty sure it hasn't: http://www.statesman.com/ap/ap/obituaries/longtime-wichita-falls-sports-editor-dies-at-66/nbRDT/
    Could be a tough spot taking over for a long tenured SE.

8. Hate to see this. Worked for Nick. He gave me my start. I grew up reading him.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

LOL.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Damn. Joined the newspaper at age 16 in 1972 and was promoted to sports editor in 1979 (age 23)? Guess times have changed. I was a month shy of 23 when I got my first post-collegiate full-time job and nearly lost it on Day 1 as someone in the HR department nearly crapped in his/her panties and called the corporate office to find out if they were allowed to hire someone that young.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Andy has been at that paper since 1991 (God that's hard to believe). He's good people and if anyone knows the job, he does.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was wrong. I was thinking about somewhere else in Texas. It happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted