1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, weekly in Orange Park, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 27, 2011.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Clay Today, an 8,000-circulation weekly in Orange Park, Fla., has an immediate opening for a full-time sports editor. If you’re a Northeast Florida resident with at least one year of sports writing experience we would like to hear from you. Page layout, sports photography and website updating experience would also be beneficial but are not mandatory. This position has full benefits.

Email a resume and writing samples to Managing Editor Greg Walsh at greg@opcfla.com. No phone calls please!

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Orange Park Kennel Club has 24-hour poker Friday and Saturday. Or so I've heard.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't touch this with a 10-foot pole. It's basically a shopper they throw on lawns, where they tend to lay there until they're absorbed into the soil.

4. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

And it has a sports section, page, or paragraph?

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

This paper's forerunner was a weekly called the Breeze. It went daily in the late 70s/early 80s and changed its name to Clay Today, but reverted back to a weekly long before the rest of the industry went into the crapper.

6. Used to live out there. Loved it. Wanna go back. The person commenting about the paper just sitting on lawns until it's absorbed into the soil... he's right. I know from experience. Used to pile those things up in my garage once the yard got too full of them.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Grew up there (outing alert for those who don't know me)... Delivered the daily version and the weekly "shopper" on my bike as my first so-called job. I think my route at its peak had 73 customers. And 250-300 of those shoppers each week. Lots of fun on a 10-speed with the bag over your shoulder!

8. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

With the unemployment rate in our industry hovering at about 35 percent, what an absurd statement to those looking for a gig — any gig — to continue a career in journalism.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you are dead set at taking a job at this rag to stay in the biz, you need to rethink your life plan.

10. I was going to say, "But what if you're just trying to get in the biz?"

Then I realized they want a year or experience.

11. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

If you are dead set at taking a job at this rag to stay in the biz, you need to rethink your life plan.

Because, of course, you know everything about everybody's situation and can sit imperiously judging others. Your audacity is exceeded only by your pomposity.

Draft saved Draft deleted