1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Wausau, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1561406

Company: Gannett Central WI Media
    Position:
    Regional Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 7, 2014
    Job ID: 1561406

Description:

Regional Sports Editor

Gannett Central Wisconsin Media seeks a sports editor to oversee the sports and recreation coverage for four markets in the region including Wausau, Stevens Point, Wisconsin Rapids and Marshfield. The sports editor must be driven to serve readers with unique local content online and in print, and to collaborate with other editors and members of the sports staff to encourage and inspire great work. The sports editor works alongside the staff on nights and weekends to produce well-planned, well-edited pages, website reports, videos and more. This is a key leadership position in the Gannett Central Wisconsin group.

Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related discipline is required, along with eight to ten years of experience in daily newspaper journalism. A strong working knowledge of the local and national sports landscapes is critical. Some management experience is required. The Regional Sports Editor must possess strong leadership, organizational and communication skills, along with an understanding of the importance of local sports coverage to our readers. Multimedia experience is required.

Candidates must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, proof of insurance and own transportation.

Interested candidates may send a cover letter, resume, references, and portfolio materials and apply online at http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/ic/careers/.

We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.

2. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

What happened to the person that's there now?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Was this job ever filled would be my question. This was just posted last year.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

This appears to be Christopher Dabe's old job.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

On the Gannett blog someone mentioned Christopher was doing a good job... wonder if he got a job himself elsewhere...

UPDATE: Turns out he did. Dabe took a job with NOLA Media Group in New Orleans, which makes me wonder if he's filling the Saints position. Amicable departure. Congratulations, Chris!

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

According to APSE, he'll become the managing producer of sports and HSSN at NOLA.com. I think that's a fancy way of saying high school sports editor, but I'm not sure.

7. NHMafia

NHMafia Member

You're right, bound. I'm at a company now that uses the same HSSN NOLA.com does and Managing Producer is more or less the high school sports editor.

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

FWIW, copy editing position is also available at WDH. Anyone has any questions I currently work on the copy desk, but I have worked in the sports dept. and continue to work very closely with the sports dept.

Draft saved Draft deleted