1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Watonga, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

Description:

The Watonga Republican, Hinton Record and The Geary Star newspapers located out of the Watonga newsroom in Watonga, Oklahoma is looking for a full-time sportswriter to join our team.

TheWatonga Republican, Hinton Record and The Geary Star are weekly newspapers that provide local communities with award-winning coverage, a strong online presence and quality social media coverage.

We are located in a beautiful area known for tourism, fishing, boating, hunting and its school districts. We are also within an hour of Oklahoma City and within an hour and a half from the campuses of Oklahoma State and Oklahoma University.

The position offers flexible hours that include nights and weekends, paid vacation, paid holidays, sales commissions and a tight-knit team culture.

Responsibilities include:

· Build a rapport with sources on assigned beats to develop stories and story ideas.

· Cover sporting events, write stories, take photographs and video and post to our website the night of events.

· Manage content submitted by individuals and groups. Prepare this content for publication on our website and in our print editions.

· Collaborates with others in the newsroom on content and contribute to relevant social media accounts.

Qualifications include:

· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.

· Excellent communication, organizational and social skills, and the ability to write accurate, clear and concise stories on deadline and under pressure.

· Must have valid driver’s license with a driving record that is insurable by the company.

Please notate if you can do the following:

· Paginate or have familiarity with Adobe Suite or Quark

· Write general assignment stories (city council, school board, police beat, etc.)

· Must have valid driver’s license with a driving record that is insurable by the company.

· Photography

For more information contact Eric Warsinskey, Group Publisher at Eric@WesnerCo.com

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A sports editor who pitches in on council and cops? Sales commissions?

ondeadline likes this.
  3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I have to pitch in on the news side. There's only three of us in the newsroom now — five in the entire building. When the reporter goes on vacation, I cover board meetings. When the managing editor goes on vacation, I fill in for her.

The sales commission part could mean 1) he also fills in for a sales person when they go on vacation, 2) he has to actually make sales, 3) he gets a cut of special sports publications, like football tabs. I'm guessing because I've never heard of that, either.

4. jla74m

jla74m Member

I'd rather shoot myself than cover a meeting.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Your non-sports duties are legend on this board, so I'm guessing that's the case here. Even I wrote some ad copy to help out on special sections at one stop. Ad rep slipped me a little cash after the section ran.

Either that, or the commissions part was some boilerplate that was not deleted.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

At this point, I'm surprised they don't make me fill in for the sales rep when he goes on vacation.

Draft saved Draft deleted