1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Watkinsville (GA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KevinmH9, Jun 6, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Company: The Oconee Enterprise
    Position:
    Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 11, 2008
    Job ID: 769368

Description:
    The Oconee Enterprise, a 124 year old family owned weekly 8 miles from Athens, Ga., is seeking a sports editor. If you enjoy sports and are a recent journalism graduate or have 1 to 2 years of experience, or more, this is a great opportunity.

Oconee County has five high schools, two middle schools, an active recreation department, and several other sports venues. While you can determine the content of the sports section, you should show a willingness to pursue stories assigned to you, and work with a team. Copy editing using AP Style, writing catchy headlines, taking photos, and layout are desirable skills. Experience with Quark Xpress is required. We have a completely electronic production process.

Company benefits are group health insurance, short term disability insurance, and several paid holidays. Two weeks of paid vacation are included while we are closed for the week of July 4th and the week of Christmas.

Candidates from this area (north Georgia) are preferred. Fax a cover letter, resume and 3 to 5 published clips to Maridee Williams, General Manager, at (706) 769-8532. You may also mail your information to PO Box 535, Watkinsville, GA 30677. Please do not use e-mail.

Two weeks paid vacation on those crucial holidays when we want to be home with our families? Doesn't sound like a bad gig.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Crazy as this sounds, I'd rather be able to take paid vacation one of the other 50 weeks out of the year.

The family that owns this paper is nuts. The sports at the two high schools aren't bad, though.

3. skip2mylou

skip2mylou New Member

May be unkind to nuts to make comparison

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

What happened to the previous holder of the position as SE in Watkinsville?

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I know the previous SE, Anthony Dasher, also works for rivals.com on the UGA beat. I imagine he's going to just concentrate on that.

I can second the notion that the family that owns the paper is a little off. The publisher is VERY old-school and the general manager doesn't have a background in newspapers. They are a mother/daughter combo. You will be able to run your own section, but it will be very closely monitored and you will give up that control when it is convenient for management.

Watkinsville is indeed a dump but it has gotten better. The person that gets this job will likely be living in Athens, which is 10 minutes away and, as anyone can tell you, is a great place to live. The sports in the area are decent, with baseball being the best sport for both of the major high schools. Football and basketball are lacking, but softball is always a state contender and the running sports have a good history.

The two weeks of vacation sound nice, but not having an flexibility in your vacation days is very frustrating.

As you can probably tell, I have a history with this shop. PM me if you want anymore details.

Draft saved Draft deleted