1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I can do better than gossip.
    This is done.

I'm the new SE of the Washington Times. Start date 3/1, so I'll be at FanHouse until the end but obviously spending some time building a staff and getting this ready to roll. I'm still very saddened by what's going on at FanHouse but thrilled by this incredible opportunity.

A few things:

*Yes, they are serious about the relaunch. Don't have time to go into all the details so you'll just have to trust me. Or not. But they are serious and I'm psyched to lead the charge. The numbers that were discussed on the other thread are low. It isn't going to be a huge staff -- which is fine by me -- but it will be bigger than what was discussed.

*I'll sound like a you know what here but it can't be helped: Yes, I will be hiring. NO, I do NOT want you to send me stuff or inquires just yet. I have a lot of sorting to do and I'm not sure how things will fall. When I know specifics of what I'm looking for, I will post it. Trust me, I will post it here. Do yourself a favor and wait until I do.

*Did I mention I'm excited?

*I'm excited, in case I failed to mention that.

2. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Congratulations, Moddy. Very happy to hear this.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Moddy! Congratulations for landing on your own two feet after what was a nasty career turn.

I forgot to ask... you're not excited, are you?

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Congrats and best wishes!

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Congratulations Moddy. Nice to hear that your talents were in high demand and that you were able to make a safe landing after what happened to all of us over at FanHouse

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Congrats, Moddy!

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Also worth noting: Deputy sports editor will be Marc Lancaster, who has worked with me at FanHouse and is an incredibly good editor. Huge for me that he was available and willing. Marc has been in Cincinnati and Tampa, has pro beat experience, is an award winner.

That he's a Georgia grad is something I was willing to overlook.

8. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Congratulations sir

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hey, Moddy, congratulations, good luck and have fun! Speaking from experience, being on the sports section of a big city number two paper challenging a fat and happy number one is about the most fun you can have in the business.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

"Does this make him a (Moonie)?"

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Congrats! DC's gain is Richmond's loss. So basically you're the Civil War.

12. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.