1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

So let's accept your numbers. I am cool with that. In this economy will the Times budget $1.6 million in sports salaries and benefits?

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

The story I read had $30 million being pumped into the paper. $1.6 million plus travel ain't that much of the pie.

3. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Chances are I have read the same story that you have. The story suggests 50 people being hired over the next two months, across sports, arts and metro, along with political and national reports, including a White House correspondent.

The story goes on to quote the managing editor as saying the salaries will be HIGHER than in the past, which suggests your $50K average won't hold up.

After the 50-person hiring spree, the story says, newsroom staff count will stand at about 100.

How many of those will be in sports? Five? Ten?

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/01/19/washington-times-starts-comeback-hiring.html

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Zuckerman tweeted today that CSN Washington has hired him FT and that CSN also bought his blog, which he will continue to work on.

Good for him!

5. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

The Times wasn't doing preps before, and I'd be surprised if they try it now. I agree with wicked, the Post owns high school coverage in the region. It would be an uphill battle for the Times to make a move there, even if readers wanted it, which I don't think they do. Again I agree with wicked ... transient area full of people who aren't from there and therefore have no ties the the area high schools. A lot of times it feels like the Post goes overboard on the prep stuff, considering the lack of interest in it. They might get some mileage out of paying more attention to the regional colleges than the Post does.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

secretariat knows his stuff. Their remaining deskers are in the $40K ballpark (a few south of there, in fact), and that was the going rate beforehand.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

The money will be there to get a staff. My question is how long will they operate in the red?

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It took them this long? Glad to see his bet on his content/career paid off.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

When I was offered a page design job at TWT, it paid $22.99/hour (or $47,819.20). Hope that helps.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

They are hiring five sports reporters?

11. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

From what I hear, four to five full timers and short lists of candidates have been submitted by existing editors and HR. Probably more overall if you consider freelance.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

any gossip on sports editor candidates?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.