1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

The discussion of race as it pertains to employment, especially in more visible gigs like journalism, is a fascinating one.

But I'd much rather see updates here from Moddy on how he and Marc Lancaster are constructing their staff for the rebirth of the sports section in the national's capital. Nevermind awaiting news on who gets the gigs that remain open, but for the sheer novelty of seeing a sports department constructed from the ground up.

Think about this. In an age in which we're blessed to see anyone hiring at all, the Washington Times is building an entire department, and they're building it in a way they believe will help mesh the print and web product well. It's eminently fascinating, and yet we're caught up in these little quarrels.

Let's not lose the forest for the trees. Instead, sit back and watch what TWT is doing.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dam that's funny.

What I don't understand is if Greg Lee reached out to Moddy in private then why did he decide to go public here on SJ?

Clearly Greg Lee joins Mr Scott Newman in going straight to the New Member Hall of Fame

Nothing more to add but just wanted to have my name associated with such a ground breaking thread before the lock.

3. Boom_70

Why is it always Boston Globe Sports Editors that feel compelled to pick a fight with SportsJournalists.com?

Remember Don Skwar:

http://apse.dallasnews.com/feb2002/2dotcom.html

"So now I want to update you on another fight. This one has everything to do with what we're about as well. Yet I'm sure some might say that what I'm suggesting is that we limit that freedom of speech. That's not the case, of course, but if that's how it's viewed by some, so be it.

This is about sportsjournalists.com, a web site for sports journalists
    , presumably. It has some well-intentioned features – a list of stringers we all might use; a link to a scholarship fund established in memory of murdered Columbia Daily Tribune sports editor Kent Heitholt; a job board; and a link to our own APSE web site.

So why, on Jan. 25, did I write the webmaster of this site, demanding that we have the link to APSE removed? Why did I get in touch with my parent organization, the New York Times Co., to let it know it might want to rethink its advertising a 50-percent off deal for the Times newspaper on this web site?

Why? Because it has a message board feature called Sports Babes that panders to degradation of women sports journalists. On this board, names of women writers and sports TV reporters are pilloried and slandered. In one instance, an anonymous nitwit states matter-of-factly that one woman sleeps with players to get good stories, but that it doesn't matter because she has no talent."

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

What a crock.

5. Boom_70

Todo el mundo promueve periodistas deportivos negro, pero ¿qué pasa con los escritores hispanos de los deportes? ¿Quién nos ayuda?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don's been at ESPN since 2004.

I must have missed his complaints about the sophomoric humor featured on its network, magazine, and website.

I'm guessing he doesn't throw so many stones now that he lives in a glass house.

7. Boom_70

Must fit into the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em philosophy.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We're done. Not with the hiring. Done with the bullshit. The behavior of some of you on this thread didn't surprise me at all. Passive-aggressive weenie was probably the best line of all. The behavior of some others shocked me and disappointed me greatly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.