1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

First off, thank you Brian and Greg.
    Let's get a few things straight. I have known Moddy for a few decades. We may disagree on things but I WOULD NOT CALL HIM A RACIST and I despise anyone who thinks that's what I'm trying to say.
    As much as an egotistical asshole Moddy can be, and he'll admit that he can play that role, I wouldn't mind being a foxhole with him. He's OK in my book.
    I brought up a legitimate point that many found offensive. Again, I tried to reach out to Moddy privately without any luck and I just pointed out a concern on the board that two veteran guys, who happen to be African American, noted to me.
    A few of you guys have posted pretty childish things from cartoons to remarks like "I'm going to call Mike and recommend some caucasian journalists that I think he should hire. "
    Again, this is 2011 and stupid stuff like that belongs in the 50's and 60's. And to make it worse, some of you have made a half decent living writing or talking about African American athletes.
    In my opinion, to jump on a guy like Greg Lee whose business is to keep up with the declining number of minority journalists in this country is disgraceful.
    Some of you guys need to grow up.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You are a piece of work, Drip.

The king of the backhanded compliment.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It wasn't a backhanded compliment. You and a few others really need to grow up. I get the feeling you're trying to stir something up and there isn't a need for it.

4. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

This, you inscrutable moron. Good grief.

I've mostly lurked on this site for years, and in that time I've read a lifetime's worth of passive-aggressive horseshit from you.

In what way is that comment germane to this thread? Answer: not at all. It's just another little shot across someone's bow as you play the victim.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Give it a rest, especially with the name calling, Bump. It WAS NOT a shot across someone's bow.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, I need to check out the Jobs board more often. When the vitriol hits here, it hits .7 harder than on other boards. Bottom line, Moddy can hire whofuck he wants, and I think we can trust he'll do it fairly. And it's backdoor compliment, not backhanded.

7. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. CT2DC

CT2DC New Member

I once looked at this website as a place I can learn about sports writing, seeing if there is a job I might want to apply for, I would jump at the chance. I come across what has happened to this job posting and it just sickens me.

@Drip and @GLee: You speak about the lack of diversity in sports departments, mostly to African Americans, but what about other groups? What about the promotion of women, Hispanics, and disabled people? I don’t see that on here. You talk about the lack of African Americans, which is a worthy cause, but it is not the only fight worth fighting. What about people with dyslexia, are you going to have a fight for those people with the same passion as you would an African American? Are you going to be in the corner of the person who can’t walk? Where is this honorable fight? Aren’t they are a minority too.

@Drip: There are some questions that should be asked in private, and I believe that was one of them.

I hate when people bring race into any topic. It gets under my skin because the best man should get the job, while the world isn’t perfect, they should get the job. If you don’t, screw them, get on your horse and find another job. And the day you make it big, you remind that person that didn’t hire that they made the biggest mistake of their life for giving the job to someone less qualified.

I don’t think Mr. Harris is a stupid and hire less qualified people because they are white. He is jumping into a DC market which loves it Redskins, along the rise of Capitols and Nationals; he will need the best writers that are out there.

Please, for the LOVE OF GOD, stop talking about race, let Moddy announce the hires as they come and if someone doesn’t get a call back, it’s not the end of the world, you get back up and apply for another job.

Thanks

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Can't we get some love for the compulsive liars, who are certainly in the minority too?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

CT2DC has got to be performance art, right?

Dyslexia? Come on, he's pushing buttons. He's got to be.

Boom, is that you?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Are they?

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If there is only one African-American sports editor at the moment, that is indeed pretty shocking. On the other hand, a substantial group of minority sports editors has in the last year or two been promoted out of sports (Washington Post and K.C. Star come to mind) or departed for more money or more glamorous jobs with ESPN in Bristol (I could think of at least three examples), ESPN in New York City, MLB.com, the NCAA, Sporting News, etc. Not that I blame them. But neither have they been shut out of elite jobs. The elite jobs have moved....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.