1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveRep44

SteveRep44 Member

I'm impressed you found it in the first place.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I bummed a ride to an APSE event with the SE at a metro daily and the topic of diversity in hiring came up. Now, this is somebody Moddy has worked with and spoke of glowingly, so I would be surprised if they had a polar opposite approach to the subject. At that time he had fairly recently worked at a smaller paper and had an opening on one of that paper's prime beats. He got an application from a seemingly qualified African American candidate -- the only African American candidate as far as he could tell -- and attempted to set up an interview, but couldn't reach him. He thought I might know him and asked me if I knew what happened because it was strange he couldn't be reached at the phone number on his resume. Turned out I did know him and I knew why he hadn't responded. Sadly, he had died. The job wound up going to a white male who did a fantastic job.

I don't know if this story supports one side of the debate on diversity or the other, but it gave me some perspective on how sports editors approach hiring people. I guess the point is there are lots of factors and most of us have no idea how hiring editors end up making the choices they do. Drip implied that if The Times doesn't end up with a sports staff with demographics that match the District of Columbia then Moddy is doing something wrong. That's uninformed and offensive.

3. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

[​IMG]

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My two cents,

Drip's question was legit, but the way in which he asked the the forum he used was not.

I got no beef with GLee.

In my experience the NABJ folks have been a great resource when you are looking for folks or making sure you haven't overlooked someone.

Never been strong-armed by them.

Mizzou, you're being too harsh. And IJAG, I don't think you're supposed to mix your pills and cough medicine or whatever you've done to end up in Mizzou's co-pilot seat.

6. secretariat

For the record, I read it the same way as IJAG and Mizzou. I just wasn't offended or pissed enough to post 15 times about it and chase the guy off. (Not saying that's what IJAG did.)

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

True. You strike me as the kind of poster who would NEVER post incessantly in an attempt to piss someone off. NEVER!

8. secretariat

[​IMG]

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey, I only posted once each after his comments. Mizzou was the one who posted 19 times. :D

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is Larry ever going to get back together with Sly and the Family Stone? Just curious.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

You've got to be f'ing kidding me, right? Tell me you are kidding. Give some blue font. Something. Tell me you didn't stoop to this shit.

Wow. Just wow.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I mean, I can't get over this. I don't know this guy from the Globe but to read his post and conclude that it was in any way arrogant and condescending? You've got to be kidding.

OK. I've gone back through the last two posts and removed the bulk of the cursing and other effects of my initial reaction. But the point is still the same. When I saw Drip bring it up, I thought it was a valid point, but the problem was in how it was brought up. Seemed odd. Then I noticed there seemed to be a back story (that I don't know, nor do I care to pry into) that made Moddy's reaction seem like it was as much about the singer as it was about the song.

So, to me, somebody coming on and pointing out that diversity in hiring is a legitimate issue is a perfectly valid point. Man, if anything the post should have been a peace-making one, hammering home two points:

1. Don't take it out on Drip too much because, tact aside, he brought up a valid issue and
    2. Don't be led to believe (as some may say Drip was suggesting) TWT or Moddy are against a diverse staff because he can testify that Moddy's actions prove otherwise.

I mean if you read anything more into it than that, you have to be just looking to stir shit up. You're Jason Fucking Whitlock or something. I'm back to cursing now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.