1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

My feeling from the folk that I've talked was that it wasn't a great experience and they didn't see the need of turning back the clock. I can't blame them.
    Considering the present economic climate, especially in this business, they will get plenty of resumes.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I would move. Was comtemplating moving up there anyway in my current job (which allows me to live wherever I want to live). My kids are up that way now. Moving to the D.C. area is not a negative in any way.

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Seriously doubt Alan Robinson is one of their staff writers. He has been at The Associated Press in Pittsburgh for decades and covered the Penguins Tuesday night.

4. VJ

VJ Member

There are two bylines from AP writers on the site listed as TWT writers. Nice.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Think the paper will hire a bigger staff after the SE gets hired? I feel like I've been around reporting for long enough to feel I'd have a shot at a staff writer spot, but since I'm also a recent college grad, I'm not going to waste HR's time sorting through another application for SE.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The former Times staffer I talked to a few weeks ago didn't rule out the possibility of going back once they got the show going again, but he seemed kind of dubious.

7. writingump

writingump Member

If someone like Moddy is the editor there, I could work for him ... just a hint, Moddy.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

It's Washington, so I'll vote for Moddy, too.
    Gelston is AP Philly and Robinson is AP Pittsburgh. Neither work at the Times. As for the AP Nats item, probably not long enough for a Joseph White on it?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One line in the blog sets off the BS meter:

And to overcome concerns among Washington journalists that the paper remains in jeopardy, he plans to offer higher salaries than the Times used to pay. "The salaries are going to be better," he tells Whispers. After the hiring ends, the paper hopes to have about 100 newsroom staffers. In its heyday, the paper had over 350 in the newsroom.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kick a bunch of people out on their asses, then a year later say, "Whoops. My bad."

Shitbags.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. When you work for a paper owned by a, uh, extreme cultlike church, should you expect rational decisions from on high?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Part of the reasons they made the cuts in the first place was the paper wasn't controlled by the church anymore. One of Moon's sons had it, and the family cut off the cash. Church folk bought the paper back in the past six months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.