1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Wapakoneta (Ohio) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ondeadline, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

This would be good for someone looking for their first job, but that's about it.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I think making that your first job in journalism would also make it your last. I knew a couple of people who worked there and it was just god awful. Hell, Portsmouth probably looked good after that.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Interviewed there once for the SE position a number of years ago. Forget the exact offer, but it was less than $25K. Remember this was for the SE position AND you had to get permission to write opinion columns.

They did pay for dinner and a hotel stay, but they wouldn't budge on the salary, which led to a very quick nyet.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Eu fala Portugese. Eu vivre no pais do Portugal no anno deiz-nove-oitente-sete.

5. Bob Slydell

I know you loked that up.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Nao, senhor. Um exchangar cultural com Associocao dos Jovem Agricultores do Portugal para seis meis.

7. Bob Slydell

Okay, you got me.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I don't know much about the paper, but the town isn't as awful as some make it sound. There are far worse places to live.
    Lima is within 20 minutes or so. Dayton and Toledo are both within 90 minutes. Cincy and Columbus within two hours... You can find things to do on your off days.

You won't have a plethora of bars and nightclubs to choose from, but it isn't the middle of nowhere either.

People care about preps too. Hardcore.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Lima is within 20 minutes? Shit. I wish someone had told me ealier. Sign me up!

10. Bob Slydell

Lima...New York. Lima...New York. Almost the same.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A.) Selling a place as being within 90 minutes of Dayton and 20 minutes of Lima says about all you need to know.

B.) My mom once got a speeding ticket in Wapakoneta. Now, whenever we drive to Michigan, she goes right at the speed limit for that 20-mile stretch or so.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

To say nothing of being within 90 minutes of Toledo. What could be more ... numbing.

Draft saved Draft deleted