1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Van Wert, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Two warnings ...

1. Had a friend land a spot as the interim sports editor a while back ... when he was a sophomore in college. Nothing against my friend, but he hadn't even worked at the campus paper -- or any other paper, for that matter -- before he got that gig.

2. I've worked for Brown Publishing. I hate Brown Publishing. Cheap company in every sense of the word and a pain to work for. Granted, I didn't work in Van Wert, but I worked in a very similar town, and the higher-ups were not supportive. I will never work for Brown again.

That said, Van Wert is a nice place, very comfortable. Know nothing about the paper itself.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I worked with someone who left to take a job with a Brown paper, and was back in town three days later. OHB's warning about the company is valid, at least with this poster.

Carry on.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

decent town, but not much to do

4. Low 30s? You might get up to that If you added up two years salary. OK town but the nearest "big" city is Fort Wayne, 30 miles away. The front door of the Hyatt Regency in Chicago doesn't revolve as often as this job.

5. flyers76

flyers76 New Member

Every writer I know who's worked for Brown has had absolutely nothing good to say about the experience...it's a good ol' boy company that rewards the suckers (or relatives) who somehow manage to stick around long enough but treats the lower level employees like slaves -- including mid-level editors. Unles you can afford to live on a poverty-level salary and plan on leaving within 6 months-year, stay away!

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

One of my staffers had this job for less than 6 months 10 years ago. The horror stories he told would curl your eyelashes, and I've been doing this for 17 years.
    It's unreal what entry level papers, and that's exactly what this is, expect. The compensation is even more incredible on the negative end.
    If this pays 25K, that's a notable improvement over some, but I doubt it would be that high.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

A-men.

8. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Actually the SE there strings for us and didn't even know they posted the job.

9. hahaha not surprising. they've posted it at least twice since lester took the job there. to think, that job was mine and i turned it down...

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn! that's all types of fucked up.

11. boots

boots New Member

I guess he'll be looking for a new gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted