1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Tulsa, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 11, 2011.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

For anyone wanting an update, they've interviewed internal candidates and are in the process of speaking with external candidates (which doesn't mean the internal candidates have been eliminated, just that they are exploring multiple options). I understand there's a pretty good crop of candidates. They hope to have a decision by the end of this month or early in June.

No one in the decision-making process regularly reads here. I would've posted updates, but there's not been much to post.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

If they fill with an internal candidate, is there a possibility of something else opening up in the sports department there?

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

There would be an opening somewhere in the newsroom, but I don't see this move would leading to a sports writing gig opening up, and the newsroom was revamped a couple of months back, so there isn't a true assistant sports editor any more.

However, the former assistant section editors were moved into new positions and simply labeled "assistant editors." As such, they have their hands a little in every section. One of the former assistant sports editors, Patrick Prince, currently is in this role and has been heading up the sports department. One of these assistant editors positions could be filled if the hire comes internally, and depending on who it is, it could be heavily involved in sports. I can't say that definitively, though.

I'm the other former ASE, and I'm currently the World's chief designer.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks for the info, JR. I started my career in Bartlesville and always loved Tulsa. Wouldn't mind getting back down that way in the right situation.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

How does it work to have no assistant sports editor? Sports editor does all assigning, front-end editing, coordinating of high school coverage?

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It's a work in progress at the moment, Fran, and won't be finished until the new sports editor starts. An assistant editor will likely be assigned primarily to sports, so there could be a situation where there is a de facto ASE, but I'm not sure about that. The other sections have kind of worked things out because they've had an editor since the newsroom was revamped; sports is a little behind but I have no doubt they'll work things out quickly.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I agree. Dave was amazing to work with on that process.

8. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

From the Houston Chronicle's NFL writer John McClain, posted on his Twitter page (McClain_on_NFL):

Congrats to Chronicle assistant sports editor Michael Peters, who has been hired to be sports editor at the Tulsa World. He'll be missed.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Michael is good people. This is thrilling news.

10. esport12

esport12 Member

I can attest to Peters. Well-deserved, did some very good stuff at the Chronicle. He's also good people.

Draft saved Draft deleted