1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Tulsa, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Tulsa World is seeking a Sports Editor for our award winning sports department. This position is responsible for organizing, coordinating, and managing the newspaper's general sports coverage and content of the sports section. The primary focus of this job will be the guidance and supervision of the department's professional writing staff. Additionally, the individual selected will be expected to contribute to sports content by writing for our online and print products. The qualified candidate must possess: (1) Bachelor's degree and previous supervisory and/or leadership experience perferably in a daily newspaper, (2) strong skills in coaching, instructing, and motivating others, (3) excellent interpersonal and communication skills, (4) collaborative nature, easily establishing good working relationship and (5) passion for sports and writing. This position will be the face for the Tulsa World sports department and the ideal candidate must be comfortable writing columns, blogging, speaking in public, and comfortable appearing on television and radio if asked. Qualified candidates should submit resume, salary history and writing samples to: hr@tulsaworld.com or send by fax to: (918) 584-8966 or by mail to: TULSA WORLD, Human Resource Department, 315 S. Boulder Ave Tulsa OK 74103-3401.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Who left? There have been a handful of postings the past couple of years looking for sports copy editors there.

3. ericwbolin

ericwbolin New Member

Mike Strain moved to be head of news.

Even with the changes on the desk, the reporting staff in the department has been pretty much the same for a couple years now (save one person who left recently). Good folks here. But whoever gets this gig has some giant shoes to fill.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

As Eric said, Mike has moved on to lead the newsroom after a recent restructuring. Every section -- sports, news, Scene, business -- reports to him now.

If you have any questions about the World, shoot them my way and, as always, I'll let you know what I know.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Mike took over the SE job when I was still in high school. I think he came over from The Oklahoman.

It'll be hard to fill his shoes.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Does Barry Lewis have any interest in making the jump? He's been running high school stuff for years. I'd think he'd be the internal guy more so than Tramel.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Unusual these days to seek someone to run the department as well as write for the section.

8. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Fran - writing was a small part of what Strain did. He blogged most days, but I think that's because he really enjoyed it, not because that was an expected part of his job. He'd help on huge breaking news stories, write a column two or three times a year or help compile a breakout (say, Big 12 tiebreaker scenarios). Again, he wrote for the section, but not as much as the ad makes it sound. Hope that clarifies things.

9. Fran Curci

Thanks, Bake. That all makes perfect sense.

10. Fran Curci

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I say promote from within. I don't want to be sports editor at a major daily, but would be interested in being assistant SE or scrub boy for the World. Heard nothing but good things about the paper and the city both.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Press-Enterprise thread should be bookmarked for how a jobs listing should be done here. Job posted. Consistent updates. Hiring announced. The hired comes along to out him/herself that he/she got the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted