1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- The (Starkville, Miss.) Daily Times Leader

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, May 20, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Daily Times Leader, a daily Horizon Publications newspaper, is seeking a sports editor with the vision, skill, passion to help make our great sports coverage even better. The Daily Times circulates throughout Clay County, a place where high school football is practically a religion. That passion spills over into each community’s other prep sports, making for a primed readership that is always hungry for local sports coverage. In addition to prep sports, we cover Mississippi State University and other SEC schools. The Sports Editor responsibilities include covering area sporting events, writing headlines and cutlines, compiling round-ups as well as covering area high school sporting events We are seeking someone with appropriate experience. Salary and benefits are competitive. Paid vacation, sick leave, mileage and 401K available. Please send a resume, clips and/or tearsheets to Don Norman, Publisher, Starkville Daily News. P.O. Box 1068, Starkville, Ms. 39760, or e-mail: sdnpub@bellsouth.net or fax (662)324-8092

Per: http://www.alabamapress.org/apa/index.cfm?fuseaction=npJobList&id=2

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is for Starkville's sister paper in West Point. Don't expect to be immersed in MSU coverage.

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Yeah the ad does seem a little bit misleading.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There are worse places in the world to cover high school football --- West Point has won back-to-back 5A state championships --- but yeah, I wouldn't even bother unless you're a recent college grad looking to get a foot in the door in the business.

5. BudMan

BudMan Member

"In addition to prep sports, we cover Mississippi State University and other SEC schools."

No, you don't. I second the notion that this would be a good job for a recent graduate. But don't be fooled by this ad. ... Did I mention that West Point is a terrible town?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Friend of mine had a kickass wedding reception in an old movie theatre downtown. That appeared to be the only redeeming quality.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You have to rope in those needing a job somehow. It doesn't seem the town itself is good enough to get good candidates.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The Publisher is tighter than Bill Bidwell.

9. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

There is no MSU coverage here -- only West Point High, Oak Hill and Hebron Christian. And don't look to make more than $22k. You've been warned.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's a small town for sure, but West Point has a pretty sizeable Ole Miss faction living there.
    This job will involve heavy coverage of OHA (Oak Hill Academy) which popped up once desegregation came into being around 1970. That school was one of the 30 percent of academies in Mississippi that were formed 40 years ago in Mississippi and stood the test of time to make it into the new millennium, operating now as viable education outlets in towns that have a white populous that's not happy with public education.

A lot of the paper's advertisers likely have kids in or are supporters of OHA.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I've done a radio broadcast in Starkville one time for an Arkansas/MSU game and it was without question the worst college town I've ever been to. Is West Point that much worse?

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Downtown Starkville, like many small Southern towns, is actually very nice.

West Point? Meh. OK, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted