1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, The Robesonian (Lumberton, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Mar 30, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It really gets old to see somebody joking around like this on a jobs thread with obvious sarcasm. It doesn't add to the thread and clutters it with BS.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your mere presence makes me a better human being. thank you for being you.

3. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

that would be a negative. For the most part, your beat would be preps and UNCP, although I am sure you could creatively schedule things to make it to one Duke, UNC, State or East Carolina every now and then.

4. jps

jps Active Member

and you tom are a little bit of the wind beneath my wings. thank you. thank you. thank god for you.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jp, i feel as though god gave me an absolute direction in life: i'm here for you, my friend.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

As Beavis would say, "Sarcasm rules!" TP, yeah you could cover UNC, Duke, East Carolina, whatever you like. But you would probably bodyslam the editor first out of sheer frustration. That is one rough shop.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you mr. heel.

8. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Just posting the following for my boss, Donnie Douglas. You can still PM if you have any questions

This is Donnie Douglas, the editor of The Robesonian. I have asked Khary McGhee to post this.
    I will respond briefly to the personal attacks by nameless folks, which I find ironic are facilitated by a Web site promoting journalism. I have been an editor of a newspaper for 24 years - sports, state, managing and now just editor - and I have no doubt that some folks believe I was too mean or whatever. I also know that the years have mellowed me some, but I continue to believe what we do is important and I do not tolerate shortcuts or sloppiness.
    I doubt you will find anyone who doesn't believe that I am pretty good at what I do. I have a sports background and, by invitation only, have often worked with young reporters as major enterprise pieces developed.
    In 11 years at The Robesonian, we have had probably 20 folks go through that three-person department. Most were young and didn't have a clue. Many of them left here for better opportunities. In many instances I took an active role in trying to help the person to the next level. I have never stood in the way of someone leaving for a better opportunity.
    As for ACC coverage, I ENCOURAGE it. However, the opportunities, as Khary noted, are not frequent. But we have had folks cover the Panthers, Bobcats, NASCAR, ACC football and basketball since I have been here. I WISH WE DID MORE OF IT, although I am less interested in game stories than features and columns that might follow the event. We also have some local kids playing at some of these schools and we try to follow their careers.
    The best way to find out about this job is to pick up the phone and call me. The number is (910) 739-4322. The chance that you would find me paranoid, antagonistic and unprofessional are about zero.
    At that point, I could give you a list of folks who have worked for me who would probably give you an accurate picture of working here. They don't work for me anymore and could say what they wish.
    As I alluded to in the ad, sports editor at a paper this size is a very difficult and demanding job. The right person has to love high school sports. I see it as a two- or three-year gig before burnout comes in and other opportunities knock.
    If you think you are up for it, give me a call.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I worked at the Robesonian for seven months a few years ago. It was my first stop out of school and the experience of working at the paper wasn't bad at all. I can understand why how Donnie might rub some people the wrong way, but I never had any serious issues with him. (And Donnie, if you want to know who I am I can let you know via PM)

There won't be a ton of ACC coverage, but if there's a local kid playing somewhere they would surely love to have you do some stories on them.

Lumberton and the county are pretty rough, which is the main reason I didn't stay there long, but there's plenty of opportunity to make the short drive to the beach.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He makes a valid point. The board provides plenty of places for assholes to be assholes. The job board is not one of them.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you reread your post, you'll see you're wrong.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, maybe. I try to keep this one in line more than the others but don't get it all. So points for that.
    Still. We want to do things to encourage editors to post jobs on here, not discourage them. They don't want to wade through miles of bullshit to get to the point or two about their job.

Draft saved Draft deleted