1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- The Middletown (Conn.) Press,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

Yes, it is a JRC shop.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

You can't even live at home for that in CT. A $20,000 job is $1666 a month before taxes. Take 25% of gross as what you should pay for housing and that's $416 a month for rent.

LOL. I am not paid very well, get by with freelance income, but my goodness, for the amount of hours you work it's an internship. Seriously, on a 40 hour work week (which you won't do) it is $10.50 an hour. For an EDITOR at a daily paper. The local weeklies pay more. You can do just about anything full-time for more than what they are paying people.

Now, this isn't backwoods Alabama or a cheap Midwest town. This is Connecticut. Gas is $4.20, the median house price in New Britain is $156,000, a 20 minute drive. Taxes are going up.

In Middletown, the median house price is $250,000 and the median rent is $1040 (checked on AOL). Folks, that's the cheapest you are going to find. Don't think of venturing south on route 9 to the coast or into the rural parts of the country.

Factor in retirement and health care and you are left with nothing.

This might be the worst job posting in American journalism history. That's a terrible salary 15 years ago. Right now, you couldn't afford public housing.

I know people who pull that monthly salary in a week --and they are distinctly middle class.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget about bootstrap journalism!

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1217642

And yes, we've had at least one thread on here about that place.

4. redz6794

redz6794 New Member

A friend of mine was offered the job at Middletown, I believe he will be accepting it.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sorry.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This.

7. nate41

nate41 Member

Never heard back from either my original or follow up e-mail...based on the some of the posts here, probably just as well.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Best email you'll never get.

Draft saved Draft deleted