1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor. The Kane (PA) Republican

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoop Time, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Position: Sports Editor
    Salary: $15,000 to $20,000

Description:
    Sports Editor. The Kane Republican, a daily newspaper in Kane, Pennsylvania has an immediate opening for a full-time sports editor to join our staff. Experience in sports writing required, also experience in page layout(preferably on Macintosh computers), headline writing and digital photography, as well as a good working knowledge of all types of sports. Duties include; sports page editing and layout for a 6 day daily newspaper; production of special sports supplements; supervising other sports reporters, taking game photos; covering sports at 2 high schools as well as rounding up recreational sports news. Candidate must also be proficient with computers. Candidate will be required to write and edit stories on deadline as well as design and layout pages on deadline. The Kane Republican provides extensive coverage of high-school sports to its readers, which can lead to off-kilter working hours, so candidate's schedule must be flexible. Candidate must have a valid driver,and a reliable vehicle. The Kane Republican is located in Northwest Pennsylvania and is a 2200 circulation daily paper. The Kane Republican offers an excellent benefits package: Health/Dental Insurance, 401K, Paid holidays. Send resume and story samples to; The Ridgway Record, c/o Publisher 20 Main Street, Ridgway, PA 15853, Email: publisher3@alltel.net

If that is what they pay the SE, I can only imagine how poorly they pay the reporters it says he supervises.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm guessing the reporters this lucky sumbitch will supervise are freelancers. Can't imagine this paper has a sports staff; doesn't it have like a 4,000 circulation?

Also: is it ironic if a paper called the Republican pays you so poorly that you have to vote Democrat?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ad says it's 2,200 circulation. Why the hell even publish with numbers that low?

I think this ad was on here once before, fairly recently, maybe 4-5 months ago.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Skimmed right over it. Guess I don't think of "2,200" and "circulation" in the same sentence when it comes to daily newspapers. There's family letters with more readership than that.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Paying that little, I can see why it's back on the board.

6. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

I started my career at a paper smaller than that, for about that kind of money. Pay def. sucked, but there is a lot to be said for papers that size. You really get to know the community you cover. I covered kids playing Legion and Little League that are playing pro ball now -- including a major league reliever. It was actually pretty cool being able to watch them grow and their careers progress (even cooler cuz I was able to do it by checking the Web from afar after moving on to better paying gigs).

I realize that covering small town local sports is not for everybody. But there is a lot to be said for papers of that size, especially the few actually run by people who know how to do things right (certainly not the folks at that first job of mine).

Not defending the crap pay, just answering those who say why bother publishing with circulation that small.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I believe this is published by the Lynnetts from Scranton, but I could be wrong.

Either that or George Sample.

And you think that's small? Tyrone (Pa.) Daily Herald is under 2,000.

EDIT: Definitely not the Lynnetts. More likely is Sample.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They say in Clearfield, if you get to Kane ... you've driven too far. ;)

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Kane, PA....hometown of Chuck Daly, I believe.....

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yup...cougars up there, too.

The paper is published by Horizon, who also owns small rags in Ridgway, St. Marys and Punxsutawney, along with a number of midwest pubs.

11. You mean to tell me you guys chose to waste bandwidth with THIS?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, i can find how it's odd to you, since you've been around all of 20-some posts.

in general, please feel free to point to the board, and its members' future failures.

Draft saved Draft deleted