1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- The Hillsdale (Mich.) Daily News,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Mar 15, 2011.

1. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

The difference to me is that this is an editor position where you have more work and a lot more responsibility.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The thing is, at a small paper, the title is often an in-name-only thing (except on the resume, which can be good and important for future purposes, of course). But, usually, there is little difference between sports editor and sports reporter at anything under a mid-size daily. A sports editor usually does all the same things a reporter does, and vice versus, because these are usually one-, two- or three-man staffs. The sports editor may have a little more say in how the section gets organized and laid out, or who gets assigned what.

Otherwise, though, their roles and what all they do are usually pretty much the same, any differences depending more on which day of the week it is than anything else.

And, being a sports editor of a paper that covers 10 schools more than likely just means that you are the sports editor of a paper with 10 schools in its coverage area.

There is a difference, and it is rare when a paper that "covers" 10 schools (or 100 schools, or 600 schools, or whatever) actually fully covers more than a fraction of them. When it comes to the rest, you take calls and pretty much just take what you get. Your focus is on a few, with the numbers being relative.

I stand by what I said earlier. Take a look just at the jobs board here for perspective. Outside of the Orlando Sentinel's FSU beat position, and maybe the Indianapolis Star preps job and the Arizona Republic copy editing job, there is probably nothing being advertised that would pay a $30,000 salary.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I know for a fact this isn't true on multiple other jobs posted here (A few smaller pubs and some larger).

4. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Any idea what Hillsdale's circulation is? I would imagine they are around the same size as the one I work at (10-12,000). Mondon website isn't even close to reliable. They list my paper's circulation at about half of what it is.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Check the abc

6. kg2134

kg2134 New Member

Circulation sits around 7-8k depending on whether you ask the publisher or the editor. Hillsdale County is 35-40k people and it's the only paper in the county. I worked there as the sports ed from 2007-2009, so if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I'll give you the scoop.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know if you know you're circulation, Levin, but it's a third of what you wrote. It's not bigger than Dickinson.

8. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

According to my managing editor and publisher it is around 12,000. Never looked into it past that. Maybe they are counting E-subscribers which we have a good amount of.

If the circulation is closer to what you say it only makes my point. That would make my paper smaller than Hillsdale and yet we have a two person sports staff with both making more than $455 a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted