1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- The (Hampton Roads, Va.) Daily Press,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Just to update a bit, we've gotten more than 30 resumes and the quality looks good. If you're still interested, the deadline isn't until March 1, but we'll want to move quickly after that so please get your material in as soon as possible.

2. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Not much of a bump here, but our deadline for applications is March 1. We plan to move quickly after that by bringing in the best candidates for interviews. The goal is to make a hire in April.

3. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Another bump ...

Applications are closed. We received somewhere between 45 and 50. They're being whittled down now, then we'll starting bringing in candidates for interviews. Once we decide on the final three/four/five/six candidates, I'll be back with an update.

4. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

The update as of this morning. The original field of 45+ was cut to a dozen and then to 7. Marisa Porto, our director of content, is conducting phone interviews with those 7, then will trim the number to 4. We'll do in-person interviews with the final candidates.

We also have an opening for a night production manager and a universal desk copy editor. The application process for those remains open.

5. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

And another bump ...

We have, I believe, four external candidates and one internal candidate who will interview in person. First interviews are next week.

6. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

And to bump again ....

We're going through final interviews this week and next. Hopefully a decision very quickly after that ....

7. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Interviews with the 5 candidates are finished. We are anticipating a decision next week. I just hope the pipeline from the editor's office to my desk is quicker than Moddy's pipeline.

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I don't have a dog in the fight, but has a hire been made for this one?

9. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Not yet. Hopefully sometime soon.

10. 09pennstategrad

09pennstategrad New Member

Anything new on this?

11. mb

mb Active Member

You're hired.

12. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Nope. We're still operating without an editor right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted